Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] WebFOCUS 8 - Impact Analysis on Content Node.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS 8 - Impact Analysis on Content Node.
 Login/Join

Master
posted
In WebFOCUS 7.7.02 I could use the Windows 7 Explorer Search function, to search Managed Reporting domains for focexecs for where I use 'CAR' or 'GGSALES'.

In WebFOCUS 8.0.06, what are our options, to search focexecs in the Content Node? ('Content' node replaces 'Managed Reporting' node in WF 8.)

Without the ability to search focexecs in Content, code maintenance efforts could be severely hampered.

As far as I can tell, the WebFOCUS 8 'Impact Analysis' function will only search focexecs in the application folders.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Guru
posted Hide Post
If you right click on Content and change your view to "Full View". Expand out the WFC Folder, then you can right click on the Content Folder and select Search.

Not exactly what your looking for, but it's a start.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your offer to assist, Matt.

The instructions and screen print you show seems to come from the 'WebFOCUS BI Portal' web page.

Developers at our site use WebFOCUS Developer Studio as our IDE. Therefore, I am looking at a tool/method/process within WFDS.

I looked at the 'Search' function, of the BI portal you showed us. It appears to only search through the names of focexecs that contain a given string.

Before we perform maintenance, we often need to search through the contents of focexecs (Impact Analysis).

Once again, thanks for showing us how to look for fex names.

Any other comments/ideas...I am all ears.

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi David,

I see that you've got a case opened for this and are working with us on the issue. Please keep us updated on your final outcome.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I bet you the workaround will be to use some utility that extracts the programs from the database table and creates a zip file. Then you unzip and use a real text editor (e.g. EditPlus) to search the extracted files.

Since WF v4.3.6 I've used EditPlus to perform my impact analysis - just point to the MRE or app folder and search in files. I'm going to miss this in WF v8.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
@Kathryn - Yes, I will keep everyone updated on my case.

@Francis - I am have difficulty getting IB to understand the importance of 'find string in *.fex files' and 'compare two .fex files'. So I appreciate the support on this matter.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps 'find string in *.fex files' and 'compare two .fex files' is not understood (which I'm always doing) is because looking at code seems to be frowned upon in this brave new world we live in.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Aldous Huxley, where are you when we need you? Smiler

I did write in a question, into the 'Ask Gerry' session at Summit 2013 regarding coding, and the answer was that IB would continue to support the coder/developer and the IDE.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
While we're at it, it would also save much grief if the file date were preserved by Dev Studio when copying a file between environments -- as when promoting a fex or synonym from Dev to QA. Seems to me if FTP can do it, it should not be beyond IBI to make Dev Studio do the same.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
@Jack:
Yes indeed .....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George Patton,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
File dates are not preserved when using MRE migration tools, even though there are check-boxes for Preserve Creation and Modifier info.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Starting in 8.0.0.7 you can set a flag in the admin console sh that when you create export scenarios it will also export the code in text format. You can then search it not the best solution but at least a way to do it.

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thread Update:

Our open case on this matter, had transitioned to a New Feature Request.

Looks like the NFR worked!

We recently upgraded to WF 8.0.07, from 8.0.06.

With 07, after selecting the Repository Content node, or folders within Content, the context menu reveals 'Impact Analysis'.

'Impact Analysis' can then be used to search for master/field names throughout content.

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I just today tried to use Impact Analysis in DevStudio v7.7.05 (it exists - you right-click a domain and select Impact Analysis). After selecting a Master and being apparently forced to enter a field name, it crashed Dev Studio.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is what I get:

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tom-

After clicking the 'Analyze' button, the 'Impact Analysis Result' form fills with the results of the 'finds' AOK for me.

Not sure what kind of error message you are getting, but do you have access to the two folders you chose to search?

-Dave

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
I'm an Admin, have access to every table in Banner and ODS..
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post