As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.
Join the TIBCO Community TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.
From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.
Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.
Just to give you all an update: I was working with IBI to trace this issue and a consultant ntoiced that we had the Resource Analyzer (RA) on. When we turned it off, the problem with the agents went away. The reason we don't have this issue in PROD is that RA is turned off. In the meantime, IBI is still analyzing the trace file I sent to them to identify where exactly it is failing with RA turned on.
Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10 QA: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10 Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Data Migrator 7.6.8 Windows 2K3, Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS 6 Usage: HTML, PDF, Excel, Self-serve, BID and MRE
Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005