Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     {CLOSED}Rant: Saved FEX goes back to the Top!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
{CLOSED}Rant: Saved FEX goes back to the Top!
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Who at IBI thought up this "peachy" feature.

Everytime you save a fex it goes all the way back to the top. Why? What a collossal pain in the you-know-where. Whoever thought of that one should keep quiet!

UGH!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Even i too dont like this feature...which i'm facing in 7.6.10 .Thus why i used "FLAG" the line before saving to come back to where i'm. Frowner

WebFOCUS 8103 Appstudio, Dev Studio MRE
Client Windows 7, Serveron Unix.
Excel, PDF, HTML,AHTML

Master
posted Hide Post
Tom,
You're not the first to mention this, ummm, 'feature' but I don't seem to be affected. Maybe I have some magical config (or have so far skirted the issue).

I assume to reproduce, I'd be editing a FEX in Dev Studio and hit CTRL + S (as I normally do), click the 'Save' icon, or do File > Save and after doing it's thing, the fex scrolls to the top line. Do I have it right?

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ABT,

Yes, you have it right; all the way back to the top!

maybe 7.6.11 fixed it. I'm on 7.6.10, coming from 7.6.7, which did not have this "feature".

Hopefully, Kerry will chime in...

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I, thankfully, haven't come across, nor appreciated, this feature! v7.6.8, and now v7.6.11.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

Thought I'd chime in too: I don't see that behavior in my setup running version 7.6.9 of Developer Studio.

Cheers!!

Norb

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
WOW! 6, count 'em, 6 Hotfix releases for 7.6.10...

I can't find it in the Hotfix releases; must be a moth...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think that this "feature" appeared first in 7.6.9 and lasted only until 7.6.11 came out when it went back to the "preferred by many" behaviour of returning to the current cursor position.

One of the reasons that I sat at DS 7.1.6 for many moons until 7.6.11 came out!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
7.7.01 has similar, but not as annoying, behaviour. When you do a save then the cursor stays at the position you left in on, but the window does get repositioned to show the left side of the text.
With long lines of code, you tend to loose track of the cursor position.
It should still be better if the display stays whatever it was. But that is a very minor annoyance with which I can easily live.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the lucky ones with the version containing the wonderful back to the top "feature". It's annoying. I heard it was only in 7.6.10. I'm guessing whoever thought of this clever "feature" couldn't actually be a coder. Razzer

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That "feature" was indeed introduced in Dev.Studio 7.6.10 and was gladly removed (fixed?) in 7.6.11. Here 's some of my whining about it at the time Wink

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom, here's the link to Case: 60272517 which addressed the issue.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
njsden,

THANKS! Reported in January, 2010, BUT, no fix for 7.6.10. 6 hotfixes and this is not addressed in any of them, the last one from June, 2010...

I have to wait for the client to upgrade...

Actually, didn't search on any other rant's, but, now I see that other's were affected adversely, also. Probably because I was at a client with 7.6.7 and it had no effect on me...

Thanks...

Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

posted Hide Post
I solved a similar WebFocus problem with AutoHotKey. This is a macro program with a fairly robust programming language behind it. The macro would basically be:

- Insert a place marker in current FEX. Something obscure like: !@#$
- Have the macro perform the keystrokes to save the FEX.
- Search for !@#$ and delete the place marker.

Mike Honeycutt

WebFocus 7.6.6, Windows

Posts: 17 | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
Sorry for the the inconvenience this issue has caused.
Issue was introduced in 7610 and it has been fixed in 7611 and 77x.
I will make a request to include fix in the next 7610 hot fix.
GamP, I will also look into the issue you mentioned and fix it in the next 77 release.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gosh Dimitris, if you're fixing people's problems, figure out how to keep my line and column number display showing when I'm in Edit As Text mode. It drives me nuts when that thing turns itself off.

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Dimitri,

THANK YOU!!!! That is wonderful news. AMSTEL on me at the next Summit!!!

Oh, WHEN???

I have explained the difference between even/odd numbered releases to the client, and,
suggested, they NOT install even numbered releases unless absolutely necessary.

John,

There are many editing tools that meet this need, UltraEdit being 1, TextPad being 2, etc...

Submit a NFR to IBI to address this, if you want...

Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think John might be referring to this (old) case. It seems to happen after using the HTML composer and it's still an issue in the 7.6.11 we are using today. It would indeed be great if that got fixed too.

That said, it's generally considered a bad idea to mingle different (although related) cases in a single thread - nobody would think of looking inside a thread titled "Saved FEX goes back to Top" if they're searching for a problem with a disappearing line-number display Wink

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Tom. Sounds great.
The next hotfix for 7610 will probably be available in a month.
The odd/even plan is over. Upcoming 76x service packs will contain only bug fixes - no new features.
For the 77 releases, 7702 will contain new functionality as we are continuing to enhance 7701.
We have a feature in Dev Studio that allows you to edit files in a different editor based on file type association you have set in Windows Explorer. e.g. if .fex files from Windows Explorer are associated w/ UltraEdit, when you right click on a fex in Dev Studio you should see the option to Edit in Text Editor (the native Dev Studio editor) plus an option to Edit in UltraEdit.

Wep5622, thank you for the note. We will look into this as well.
John, is this also the issue you experience, where Line/Col numbers do not display for files opened in the editor if an html page is also open?

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a feature in Dev Studio that allows you to edit files in a different editor based on file type association you have set in Windows Explorer

Oh! My! Goodness!

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dimitri,

You are a GOOD man!

Francis,

I use this so much, I forgot! I have UltraEdit, works great...

Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm an EditPlus kind of guy. My favourite Windoze app.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I use EditPlus as well!

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
I know that this is a {CLOSED} Rank and it's from a while ago, but...

Thank You IB (Dan O?) for the best 2 out of 3. I recently noticed that, while this "feature" (going to the top after a save) still happens when saving via the "alt+f, s" sequence, it does not happen when clicking on the save icon (little flex disk image) or using the "control+s" sequence.

Thanks again, Doug
                          Cool

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Here is another one.

If you right-click and select the text editor, the "To the Moon Alice" Eeker feature is invoked. But if you use Menu option "Command->Text Editor" then select your fex. Your saves stay where they are. Confused

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post