Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Comparing Prior Period Data

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Comparing Prior Period Data
 Login/Join

posted
Hello..Please forgive me if this is a ridiculous question, as I am still very new to this.

I need to use a figure from a prior date in a compute and compare with current.

Below is a rough example of what I am looking for. Please let me know if you can help or if I need to explain further.

TABLE FILE GGSALES
PRINT
DATE
STCD
DOLLARS

BY DATE NOPRINT
BY STCD NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS SORT FORMAT FOCUS INDEX STCD DATE
END
-RUN

-* HERE I WOULD LIKE TO PULL THE SALES FROM THE FIRST DATE FOR EACH STORE AS 
-* PRIOR_DATE_SALES FOR EACH DATE AND STCD THEN JOIN THE HOLD INTO A NEW TABLE AND COMPARE DOLLARS IN A COMPUTE

TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM
STCD
DATE
DOLLARS
PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS
COMPUTE DIFF/D8.2 = (DOLLARS - PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS); 
BY STCD
END
-RUN 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maggie McBride,

WebFOCUS 8.1.04
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 9 | Location: United States | Registered: March 18, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This may require tweaking to suit your needs, but it hopefully is a start. What to do about the Prior Date Dollars for the first date for each store?

SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
SET BYDISPLAY=ON

TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM
DATE
STCD
DOLLARS/D12.2
BY STCD NOPRINT
BY DATE NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS HDOLLARS
END
-RUN

DEFINE FILE HDOLLARS
PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS/D12.2 = IF STCD NE LAST STCD THEN 0 ELSE LAST DOLLARS;
END

-* for testing
TABLE FILE HDOLLARS
PRINT
DOLLARS
PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS
COMPUTE DIFF/D12.2 = DOLLARS - PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS;
BY STCD
BY DATE
END

TABLE FILE HDOLLARS
SUM
DOLLARS
PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS
COMPUTE DIFF/D12.2 = DOLLARS - PRIOR_DATE_DOLLARS;
BY STCD
END

Documentation: Using Functions > Data Source and Decoding Functions > LAST: Retrieving the Preceding Value

Note that the data must be in the correct order for the LAST "function" to work as expected, hence the HOLD file before the report.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking she's looking for the first date for each store compared to a later date, not the prior date.

TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM MIN.DATE AS 'FIRST_DATE'
BY STCD
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD AS FIRSTDATE FORMAT FOCUS
END

JOIN STCD AND FIRST_DATE IN FIRSTDATE TAG FD TO STCD AND DATE IN GGSALES TAG GG AS J1 ;

TABLE FILE FIRSTDATE
PRINT FIRST_DATE
      DOLLARS AS 'FIRST_DATE_DOLLARS'
BY STCD
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD AS FIRSTDAYDOLLARS FORMAT FOCUS INDEX STCD
END

At this point you have your first day data for each store in a simple table. A simple JOIN on STCD from GGSALES to FIRSTDAYDOLLARS should attach your FIRST_DATE and FIRST_DATE_DOLLARS fields to all records in GGSALES.

For the record I ask far more ridiculous questions here, and often get ridiculous answers from users I shouldn't name. FRANCIS, what do you think?

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Both. Francis hit the nail on the head with the solution I was looking for; It worked perfect.

I don't know what I would do without this forum! I have learned most that I know about WebFocus on here.

I appreciate the support! I am sure you will be hearing from me soon in another post!

WebFOCUS 8.1.04
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 9 | Location: United States | Registered: March 18, 2015Report This Post