Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] UltraEdit
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I've seen some discussion about editing tools and noticed that UltraEdit was mentioned several times. I have built a word file, auto-complete file, and an add-on pgm for UltraEdit. The pgm allows you to execute focexecs from within UltraEdit. It prompts you for the amper variables needed to run the fex and then runs it for you. The word file does syntax highlighting for you. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll let you have it. No warrantees expressed or implied! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 90 | Location: Tinker AFB | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'd like to take a look at it.. I've been developping mainly in UltraEdit and the odd adhoc request in WebFocus... I just don't like how everything is limited to the app folder in DevStudio.

Do you have it posted somewhere?

Thanks!

Leo

Posts: 96 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: January 22, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you the zip file with all the information.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have fixed a problem found by Leo L Red Face and have a new version. If anyone would like an update let me know.

Expert
posted Hide Post
B, the ultraedit folks have a site where you can download a focus add-on that does syntax highlighting. its a bit outdated but still quite nice.
Perhaps you could offer your addin to them and thru them.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I sent it to them and explained what it was for and never got a reply and never saw it posted anywhere. I did submit the WebFOCUS wordfile that's out there now but I've made changes to mine since then.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Works great!

thanks alot for what you've done.. its nice to be able to run reports directly out of UltraEdit and I really like the AutoComplete feature as I look up different functions on a regular basis.

great work!

Leo

Posts: 96 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: January 22, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you can get some use out of it. I hope it works well for you.

Expert
posted Hide Post
oh! You're the one we have to Thank for that nice syntax highlighting.
Wow. thanks so much. That's so cool! You have many fans.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I must admit I took the FOCUS word file and modified it. So I can't take all the credit. I'm glad it's getting used anyway.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
yeah but you still took the time and effort to modify it... not to mention provided it to anyone who can make use of it... very much appreciated!

Leo

posted Hide Post
The greatest thing about using UltraEdit is that the programs you submit no longer have to be under the /ibi/apps directory. It even runs files we have on a network shared drive such as in s:\requests\custdetails.fex.

This gets around one of the major peeves I had with Developer Studio.

Posts: 1 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm glad it works well for you.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I never received the files for the ultraedit interface, of course my Spam Jam may have got to you.

Please email to lcross@mail.unomaha.edu.

Thanks so much.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I just re-sent to the address you specified. Let me know if you don't get this one for some reason.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Please remember to send me your email addresses so I can send you the files. I can't send it to you without your address.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I've made some changes to run.htm to fix some bugs and include some functionality enhancements made by Leo L. Thanks to Leo, if the FEX has no amper variables it will auto-submit. If you would like an update let me know. Everyone who got the files on 08 Apr or later has the latest version.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
You can now get the latest version at the following link. No need to request I email it to you.

http://www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=106

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Your work sounds awesome.

In our DevStudio setup, all of our files are on our unix system (nothing on Windows).

Would your UltraEdit mods work in this scenario?

We're currently using EditPlus as a 'side editor'. It lets us open/save using FTP instead of the incredibly slow method used by IBI.

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes. Our reporting server is on a Sun Solaris and the client is on W2K. It works for both using FTP or SFTP.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Boogarweed

Great job. It works perfectly. There is only one problem. I cannot run any fexes in UltraEdit that include other fexes in them. I get

(FOC227) THE FOCEXEC PROCEDURE CANNOT BE FOUND:

Even though the included fex is in the same directory.

Is there a way to fix this? BTW, Currently I use Textpad to edit my fexes and I execute the fexes from the Dev Studio GUI interface.

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The included fex has to be on the reporting server (in the app path) not where you are running UltraEdit from.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
If you have installed Windows XP SP2 you will be prompted everytime you try to execute a focexec if you want to allow blocked content. If you would like to turn this off you need to check the box labeled "Allow active content to run in files on my computer" under "Internet Options" --> "Advanced" in Internet Explorer. Be aware that this may allow things you don't want....

posted Hide Post
Hi Boogarweed

I am new to webfocus. I would like to implement autocomplet feature on text box i.e. same as on google. User will type and it will pick the values from database from where user can pick the value accordingly.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Mustafa

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how this six year old post is going help you. You might want to try creating a new one...

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MH:
Hi Boogarweed

I am new to webfocus. I would like to implement autocomplet feature on text box i.e. same as on google. User will type and it will pick the values from database from where user can pick the value accordingly.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Mustafa

Rats, I was hoping this was going to be a "UltraEdit vs TextPad" discussion revival. I was so hoping to further extol the virtues of TextPad since it's clearly superior.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you compared TextPad and EditPlus? EditPlus is my fave Windows program.

Mustafa, this ancient discussion has nothing to do with what you want to do. I suggest posting a new question. Auto-completion can be achieved with JavaScript.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
is it freeware software or license ?

WebFocus 8104,8204
Excel/PDF/HTML/HTMLTABLE/XML/ALPHA/GIF file/GRAPH/Active technologies

Posts: 186 | Location: INDIA | Registered: July 11, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I paid $30 10 years ago and it's one of my favourite Windows programs. It gets updated regularly and is worth more than $30.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post