Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Migration within WebFOCUS 8

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Migration within WebFOCUS 8
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

Recently we migrated from WebFOCUS 7703 to WebFOCUS 8009 ( Test box). Everything is working fine, now we have created a PROD box for WF8 and want to migrate from WF8 Test box to WF8 PROD instead of from WF7 again. In the migration document that I looked I saw steps to migrate from WF7 to WF8 .

I appreciate any guidance on migration on client side domain content, Report caster stuff, BI portal from WF8 Test to WF8 PROD.

If we do a DBA export of repository tables from Test DB to Prod DB will it work or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Rao.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS - ver8201
[ReportingServers: Windows 64bit;
Client: tomcat and IIS on windows 2012
AppStudio

Posts: 104 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: November 08, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Search the Technical Library for "Change Management" as (IMHO) this is the best method for WF8.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Change Management" as (IMHO) this is the best method for WF8.

I second the IMHO...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I third using CM, but with the added insight to ensure you check the Retain Handles checkbox when creating your scenario(s) if you have recently migrated MR content from 7 to 8 using IBI's migration utilities. What that does is ensure that all your migrated 7 content still works in the target 8 environment (prod) when moving it from your source 8 environment (test). Again, this is only for Managed Reporting (MR) content. Do not check the box if it isn't MR content.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions to use CM.
When I select 'Content' it is selecting all including ReportCaster and LibraryContent.
Our BOTLDATA table alone is more than 100 GB, I have a little doubt if the export/import pacakage will be created/transferred without any issues.

Also, in the groups section I don't see all the groups that we have in the Test.

Do I have to create the groups manually before using CM?

Thanks!

WebFOCUS - ver8201
[ReportingServers: Windows 64bit;
Client: tomcat and IIS on windows 2012
AppStudio

Posts: 104 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: November 08, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Also, are you using Report Library? If so, you should check with Tech Support. Change Management (at least in the 8.0.09 release) does not migrate Library data.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Correct, i.e., Change Management does not migrate the report library. You'll need to export the WF7 report library and import it into WF8. Options for how to do that are in the manual. You'll need to leave the "migrated" WF7 folders in place under the Content tree in order to do this. What I plan on doing, and this will make more sense once you read up on the export/import options, is to use Change Management to migrate MRE content from WF8 Dev to WF8 Prod and then do one report caster/report library export/import into WF8 Prod right at the end just before going live with Prod. We'll be "going live in Prod" with one (maybe two) domains at a time which means that for every MRE export I do I'll need to save its reposTree.xml file for the RC/RL imports (again, this is detailed in the manual). There are a variety of options (paths may be a better word) to take but it all depends on your needs. As far as your question about a DBA export, if you wanted to, you could rename the database and then update webconfig.xml with the new name.

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post