Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report Caster-Editing job submits job to run???

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report Caster-Editing job submits job to run???
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have edited different items on a report caster job that was scheduled to Never run again, but then saving those changes submitted the job to run. My job was scheduled to run once on the 10th of the month and then never again. After it had run, I made a change to the job and saved that change. I didn't submit the job to run again, but it was run and output was distributed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Bethany

Server Environment: Win2K3 Server WebFOCUS 7.13 Apache Tomcat standalone application server

Expert
posted Hide Post
It happens all the time. Try just pressing the OK button instead of the Apply button when you are done with your changes and see if that helps the situation at all.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I did use the OK button and not the Apply button. Another weird thing about this is that we also made the same edits on several other jobs on the same day and only the jobs that were scheduled to run on January 10th (and never run again) are the only ones that were submitted to run again. Other jobs that were scheduled for the 10th of a previous or subsequent month were changed the exact same way and did not get resubmitted after saving the changes.

Server Environment: Win2K3 Server WebFOCUS 7.13 Apache Tomcat standalone application server

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've seen this as well and there are several posts regarding this issue. You would think that this would have been fixed by now since it's been around for ages!

My solution which seems to work pretty consistently is that if I absolutely do not want a job to run immediately, I uncheck the "Enabled" box on the main tab, make changes, and then OK/Apply. THEN, I go back in and enable it.

If it really doesn't matter if it runs, I don't worry about it and like you say, sometimes it runs, sometimes it doesn't

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Darin. I was going to try disabling the job as well. I just hope that when I enable the job again it won't submit it to run immediately. Have you seen that happen?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Also, If you make your changes - hit Apply...and then X out of the screen instead of OK - it will not run.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If I only changed the Enabled box, I have never (yet) seen it submit immediately. That is why I stuck to that process.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for your help.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I painstakingly followed the prescribed measures when changing a job originally scheduled for Jan. 10, 2009 and NEVER scheduled to run again, and alas it was submitted and distributed again.

I don't know what else there I can do.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Was the schedule disabled when you made and saved the changes? or was it enabled and just set to not run again in the future?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Did you try Xing out?

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We have had the same problem in 7.1, the solution mentioned above (X) worked well.
In 7.6 I think it is no mare a problem, but the X thing has become a habit.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I used the Apply button and the X and disabled the job before making changes. Then went back in enabled the job, clicked apply and then closed with the X. I probably changed 25 jobs with this same method and the only one that was submitted again was the one that was scheduled for Jan 10, '09 and to never run again.

We are moving to 7.6 sometime next month so I hope this problem is resolved in that version.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Bethany,

My guess is that this won't be fixed in v7.6.

I don't have ReportCaster access right now, but if I remember correctly, for jobs that are not to run, make your changes, disable the job AND change the next run date (I'm not sure of the exact terminology) to some time in the future - I think this ensures the job won't run.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post