Focal Point
[SOLVED] Hierarchy's on 8203 without BV+

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6477066096

August 08, 2018, 04:38 PM
LarissaB
[SOLVED] Hierarchy's on 8203 without BV+
Has anyone been able to create a hierarchy on 8203 without it completely messing up their master files in App Studio?
I do have a case open with Tech support on this, but we have yet to find a solution.
This is similar to my other focal point topic (SOLVED) Issues with metadata on 8203
But I can't get one single hierarchy to build out without App Studio removing visibility to all my joins in that active synonym that do not have a hierarchy.
This is a bust for any of my drill down reports that we use to rely so heavily on prior to this upgrade.
All fields, dimensions and measures are visible in InfoAssist, but the fields are out of order and in chaos so the only way to find your data now is to just use the search function in IA.
For the mean time, I have deleted all my hierarchies and hid all BV+ views from the metadata to get us back to functioning.
Anyone have a good solution to get hierarchies to work again?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Version: 8.2.03M, OS/Platform: Windows 7 & 10, Output: Excel, pdf, html
August 13, 2018, 05:10 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Larissa

I am sorry you have had all this trouble with this issue. It appears like you are the expert in getting around it.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
August 16, 2018, 06:13 PM
LarissaB
Unfortunately I only have a partial fix for this everyone. Here are the steps, as painful as they are, they work for everything except getting your constant defines to show up...

1. I had to flatten all dimensions from the business view in the metadata.
2. I then created the parent field by right clicking and assigning a folder to the top level of the hierarchy as a parent. This puts that field in it's own folder and takes it out of the original dimension breakout.
3. Then you have to drag all other fields within the hierarchy, from the main dimension breakout and underneath that parent field.
4. You can then rename that parent folder to something that references your hierarchy so end users know where to find those fields you placed in the hierarchy now.

It’s important to do this on ALL hierarchies you want to build in your dimensions BEFORE you move onto the active master file synonyms.

4. Open up the active synonym (the file with the cluster joins if that's what you're using)
5. Reset Defaults from the BV+ view – select yes or ok when prompted to move folders.
6. Now your measures (fact group) and dimensions (all dimension joins) will show up, but you will still have to do quite a bit of massaging on the folders and moving fields into the correct place in order for your data to not be duplicated or split out randomly into newly named folders. Pain in the rear for sure, and could definitely be brought up to product enhancement as a do better. If your end users are like mine and really get used to how data is laid out, then this is a nightmare for them (and you) when you have to reorganize all of your data.

Doing all this makes hierarchies available for use, and I can now see all my fields as intended EXCEPT for our constant defines. These no longer show up and will only show up once I go back into the active synonym and hide all on the business view.

Doesn't seem to be a happy medium yet, but we're getting closer.

Hope this helps someone!
-Larissa

Version: 8.2.03M, OS/Platform: Windows 7 & 10, Output: Excel, pdf, html