Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Reading Teradata BLOB field

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Reading Teradata BLOB field
 Login/Join

<dksib>
posted
I have multiple fields that I am trying to read that has this format, inside these fields are compressed XML, can this be done?

I am on WebFOCUS 7.6.7

Thanks,

David

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you do a search of this forum for BLOB or CLOB, you will find your answer.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
dksib,

We do it with PDF documents stored in MS SQL BLOB format using the technique described here...
http://www.informationbuilders...r/9-4/01_potter.html

I believe there is supposed to be a part 2 to the article but I haven't seen it in the newsletter yet.

Regards,

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I stumbled at the same issue and got this reply from the WF Helpdesk.

The basic idea is to call a stored procedure that extract the image on the run and have WebFOCUS call the image from the hard drive.

This might not work with hundreds of images but for a single drill down it should work. And will only work if your SQL server can store files into a directory that is available to the Web Server.

1. You need to create a stored procedure (you can use following sample) http://www.mssqlcity.com/Artic...KnowHow/Textcopy.htm

2. Create a master for this procedure.

3. Build a Webfocus report that in step one calls the stored procedure and then created a report using the image.

I haven't had time to try this out yet.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Posts: 3 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: May 28, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting site Liemburg

thanks for the hyperlink

BTW why do you close your mail with German sentence when you work in the Netherlands?

Vriendelijke groet Smiler

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Perhaps my inexperience will show here but I think the solution is simpler than needing to create and call a stored procedure. In our case (MS SQL table with PDF documents stored in BLOB) the act of querying the BLOB field extracts the binary object and places it in the folder C:\ibi\srv76\wfs\img_dir\. From there you just need to move the file to a directory the web server can access, give it a random file name, add the proper extension (in our case .pdf) and create a hyperlink to it.

I will tell you that I did not come up with this technique. Douglas Potter from the Minneapolis/St. Paul branch office did. He is also the author of the article referenced above.

BTW - The only place I found any reference to the img_dir folder is in the New Features documentation for the 7.6.2 Adapter for Lotus Notes. Go figure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Dan,

The article is nothing to do with retrieving BLOBS, it's only to do with using random names,
because they have to be physically held in a common area.

7.6.9 will have limited support for BLOBS, Yet to test it.

But every RDBMS has a different method for getting at BLOBS and support and bugs are very version
and OS platform related.

You can use stored procedure or JAVA on most platforms but it is a single pull as a DM call not a
function in DEFINE or COMPUTE.

I think if I read it correctly 7.6.9 does not support BLOBS in Terradata and does not support XML BlOBS
in any RDBMS.

Report This Post