Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     &IBIMR_user not available in edasprof.prf?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
&IBIMR_user not available in edasprof.prf?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have ginned up a filter for MRE users and wanted to place it into the edasprof.prf file. However, it includes a reference to &IBIMR_user and I am getting the feeling that is not allowed. It works fine inside units in the MR repository.

Is there a super-secret way to address the MR userid in edasprof.prf, or am I in a can't-get-there-from-here part of WebFOCUS?

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You might need to add code to the SITE.WFS file in the WebFOCUS Client to pass the value to the WebFOCUS Server.

However, for some reason I recall that &variables passed to the WebFOCUS Server are not available to code in the EDASPROF.PRF.

What you should do is create a FOCEXEC that contains the code you want to run and then set the _site_profile value in the WebFOCUS Client SITE.WFS file equal to the name of the FOCEXEC. The _site_profile variable is used to force the execution of a FOCEXEC on the WebFOCUS Server when a process starts. This is kind of like a profile focexec. The difference here versus the EDASPROF.PRF is that the &variables passed from the WebFOCUS Client are available for usage.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have something like this in our Drive:\ibi\client53\wfc\etc\site.wfs file:

<IFDEF> IBIMR_user
    <SENDVAR>
      IBIMR_user=&IBIMR_user
    <ENDSENDVAR>
  <ENDIF>

If the IBIMR_user variable is defined, pass it.

I think I needed to do it this way because simply passing the IBIMR_user variable won't work when running a self service program - I think I was getting a major error.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I dont think any site.wfs vars are accessible in edasprof.prf since the client tends to pop these variables on to the fex submitted which then gets run after edasprof is run

This will work with OPSYS authentication.

-SET &USERID=GETUSER('A60');

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I will do this -- I was concerned about the self-service issue you raise as well.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Huh. Didn't fix it. I added the code just like you show --

<IFDEF> IBIMR_user
    <SENDVAR>
      IBIMR_user=&IBIMR_user
    <ENDSENDVAR>
  <ENDIF>

. . . and got the same result. The minute I try to use the &IBIMR_user variable it craps out.

It's never quite as easy as it looks. Thanks for the recommendations folks! I'll keep digging.

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to use this for a self-service app or for when a user is logged into MRE?

Also try the _site_profile setting. As noted in this thread &VARS are not accessible in EDASPROF.PRF.

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I make modifications to site.wfs via the Admin Console - you don't have to restart the server (I think you have to restart the server if you make changes by editing the file).

<IFDEF> WORPUSER
  <SENDVAR>
  UID=&WORPUSER
  UPASS=&WORPPASS
  IBIC_user=&WORPUSER
  <ENDSENDVAR>
<ELSE>
  <IFDEF> IBIMR_user
    <SENDVAR>
      UID=&IBIMR_user
      IBIC_user=&IBIMR_user
      IBIMR_user=&IBIMR_user
      UPASS=&IBIMR_pass
    <ENDSENDVAR>
  <ELSE>
    <SENDVAR>
      UID=UNKNOWN
      IBIC_user=UNKNOWN
      UPASS=UNKNOWN
    <ENDSENDVAR>
  <ENDIF>
<ENDIF>

I inherited some of the above code, so I don't know if all of it is actually required.

I also pass the domain and folder:

<set> IBIC_server (pass)

<set> IBIMR_domain (pass)
<set> IBIMR_folder (pass)

<set> MR_BASE_DIR (pass)

These can be passed without IFDEF statements.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Parameter's being set in the site.wfs are sent to the WFRS as a block of code, and are just -SET &... statements. The problem you are having is that the server profile executes before the block of code from the client is executed. You should consider using the _site_profile to evaluate the IBIMR_user, as it is placed after the -SET's and before the actual procedure to execute.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
dh,

site.wfs is NOT the site profile?

Cheers,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

SITE.WFS is used by the WebFOCUS Client.

_site_profile is used by the WebFOCUS Server.

Thanks!

Mickey

Expert
posted Hide Post
Where is the file "_site_profile" located on the server?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Got to TechSupport, Advanced Search, _site_profile...Tons of stuff...
That's what I did, because I too had no idea what Mickey was talking about!!!

Thanks! Mickey

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've found four site.wfs files, located in the following folders:

Drive:\ibi\client53\home\etc
Drive:\ibi\client53\wfs\etc

Drive:\ibi\srv53\home\etc
Drive:\ibi\srv53\wfs\etc

The only file that has anything in it is Drive:\ibi\client53\wfs\etc\site.wfs.

I realize that this may have changed for v7.6.5, but why are there so many files?

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
_site_profile is not a physical file. It is a variable. The WebFOCUS Server runs whatever FOCUS code is contained in the _site_profile variable.

For example the SITE.WFS would contain a statement such as:

_site_profile = -INCLUDE WFSPROF

The WebFOCUS Server would then have a focexec called WFSPROF.FEX located somewhere in the APP PATH. It would then execute the WFSPROF focexec after EDASPROF.PRF when the agent starts up. This acts like PROFILE FOCEXEC if you are familiar with this from mainframe FOCUS.

Thanks!

Mickey

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yup, I gathered that after posting. Sorry!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The one in home\etc is the one that comes with the software. The one in wfs\etc would be the one you customized for your installation.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I found that EDASPROF.PRF is not as usable as I would like.

I now use SITE.WFS to SET and PASS &variables and _site_profile to manipulate them.

There is also the advantage in self service that you can change _site_profile dynamically within the URL or call form, so having the ability to have multiple 'profiles' depending on the call.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use this to set a filter on tables so that users would only see their own data. I have it fully implemented in MRE but wanted to move it to the profile to prevent someone from circumventing it. It appears it will not be as straightforward as I thought, but appears to be possible.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised at the amount of response I got and how remarkably on-topic the conversation has remained. I'd kill to have a couple of you guys listening in on the I-Way threads. I have to offer free pie to get responses over there.

J.

Master
posted Hide Post
Interestingly just found that running .fex from apps will pick up vars in site.wfs, but running the same as application from caster will not pick up the variables from site.wfs.

You learn something new everyday!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well the &variable IS named "&IBIMR-USER", isn't it?

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
hammo1j,

You are learning a bit more of the architecture of WebFOCUS. The SITE.WFS file is only used by the WebFOCUS Client. REPORTCASTER does not go through the WebFOCUS Client to run reports. It talks directly to the WebFOCUS Server. That's why SITE.WFS variables are not available.

Thanks!

Mickey

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey cburtt,

Forgive me if I asked you this before but who are you working for in Tarrytown? I went to college at PACE University in Pleasantville. I seem to recall IBM is in Tarry town.

Thanks!

Mickey

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if I asked you this before but who are you working for in Tarrytown? I went to college at PACE University in Pleasantville. I seem to recall IBM is in Tarry town.

Hey! Get your own thread!

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. I couldn't resist. Big Grin

Thanks!

Mickey

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are learning a bit more of the architecture of WebFOCUS. The SITE.WFS file is only used by the WebFOCUS Client. REPORTCASTER does not go through the WebFOCUS Client to run reports. It talks directly to the WebFOCUS Server. That's why SITE.WFS variables are not available.

Yes Caster is a separate java application which like the client talks to the server. However you would expect that running a report under caster would give you the same result as running under the client. Therefore I would say strictly speaking that this is a design flaw and the code in the client to parse site.wfs should be incorporated into caster.

Incidentally site.wfs is not read whether you call a proc in MRE or in the Application area.