Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
JCL Error
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I'm writing (under duress) a mainframe FOCUS report. I keep getting the following error:

SYSTEM COMPLETION CODE=0C4 REASON CODE=00000010

Anyone have any idea what it means? Need more information?

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Glenda,

If I remember correctly a S0C4 is generally a data exception error. Do you have alpha numeric in a numeric field?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is from IBI...maybe it will help. Haven't been on a mainframe in years....

S0C4's are caused by DYNAM statements where the DSNAME
is 44 characters. (The Maximum) and for GDG datasets where the name (not
including the parenthesis and relative file number) was 35 characters.
For example:
DYNAM ALLOC FILE LONGNAME -
DS AAAAAA.ABCDEFGH.IJKLMNOP.QRSTUVWX.YZABCDEF.G -
SPACE 1,1 TRACK UNIT SYSDA LRECL 80 BLKSIZE 80 RECFM FB
or
DYNAM ALLOC F GRID DS AAAA.BB.CCCCCC.DDDDDD.REPORT.WEEKLY(0) SHR

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When I get a SOC4 from Mainframe FOCUS, the first things I look for are:

A "hanging" IF THEN ELSE. Often I find a missing "ELSE".

A missing parameter in a user written Subroutine call.. Something like HHMMSS() instead of HHMMSS('A8') These are generally caught by the FOCUS parser but some times it is not .

Jim Morrow
Web Focus 7.6.10 under Windows 2003
MVS 7.3.3

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Glenda, as you can see from the responses you got, a S0C4 can mean several things. Tony is right in that 'generally', it's a data exception error. But 'generally' doesn't help you a whole lot. So yes, I think we'll need more info. Are you running this batch or interactively? If you're not running in batch mode, I'd recommend you do because you might get more info from the JES listing, and you can try looking in the system log as well. In the JES listing, be sure to look not only at the top, but down in the body where your FOCUS code is listed. Next time you post, please include any info you get from the JES listing and system log as well as your code.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

posted Hide Post
It's been years since I encountered a SOC4 with FOCUS, but I saw a lot of them when I did technical support for IBI years ago. Check any DEFINE and/or COMPUTE expressions (e.g. the hanging IF...THEN...ELSE mentioned above). Very complex expressions have been known to cause such abends. If all the code looks good, there is also the chance that the REGION size for FOCUS is not large enough. I hope this helps.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SOC 4 is some kind of addressing exception, SOC 7 is a true data exception. Used to be SOC 4 was generated because something was wrong with an allocated data set, any more I've seen SOC 4 with other issues. We don't use the mainframe any more for FOCUS, but I agree, some data set or memory issue is occuring.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
<Raghuraman>
posted
SOC4 - 1. Index exceeds the size of table
2. Trying to use File Section variables without opening the file

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the mainframe all the time and SOC04's normally end up being 1 of 3 things....
1. One or more files allocated are too small or were shrunk automically by SMS and won't fit the data. Manually allocate your files either in the JCL or via DYNAM to assure that they are large enough for your data. You should check your output and the file that is having the problem will be identified as part of the error message.
2. Check if the FOCUS allocated work files (e.g. HOLD, HOLDMAST, SAVE, etc) have enough space - most installations allocate only 5 cyls.
3. Check region size to see if you have enough to process.

Something to keep in mind:
mainframe n. An obsolete device still used by thousands of obsolete companies serving billions of obsolete customers and making huge obsolete profits for their obsolete shareholders. And this year's run twice as fast as last year's. (Phil Payne )

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I ws trying to more 8 files together. When I limited the mores to 3 and then mored the resulting hold files together, it corrected the problem. I don't know why, but it did.

The one thing I dislike about FOCUS is the JCL. Anything I know about WebFOCUS and FOCUS, I've basically learned on my own. My company doesn't believe in training other than throwing a manual at you. For some reason, JCL is just greek to me.

Thanks all. I'll keep your input for reference.

Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post