Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Google Chrome and WFServlet

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Google Chrome and WFServlet
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi guys,

We're still on WF77, Windows 7. I seem to have WFServlet download in Chrome without an extension. The same fex in IE downloads with the .xls extension.

Is there a Chrome setting I am missing? I have .xht in the Redirect Settings set to yes/yes. I also have WEBARCHIVE set to OFF.

The problem with the WFServlet without an extension is we can't associate the thing to always open in Excel.

How do you have this set in your installation?

Regards,
Anatess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've cut and pasted this from another similar problem. Maybe this is the issue:
A combination of two settings is required:

Use SET WEBARCHIVE = OFF to change WebFOCUS processing from XMH to XHT format.
 Change the Redirection Settings for the XHT format to Yes/Yes to redirect and
 save the report to XLS format.
 1. SET WEBARCHIVE = OFF
    You can specify the command either directly within the .fex procedure
itself
    or you can specify the command within the edasprof.prf.  Placing the
command
    within the edasprof.prf file allows it to be globally enabled for all
    requests.
 To set the command in the edasprof:
    http://server:8121 (for a default installation)
    Click Workspace and then Expand Configuration Files
    Right click "Server Profile - edasprof.prf(TAKE A BACK UP FIRST)
    Add SET WEBARCHIVE = OFF to a new line at the bottom of the file.

2. To set the Redirection Settings:
    http://server:8080/ibi_apps/
    Click WebFOCUS Administration Console
    Expand Configuration
    Click Redirection Settings
    Change the settings for .xht format to Yes and Yes
    Click Save at the bottom of the page
 Click Clear Cache at the top of the page

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes. We already have those settings. Does your Excel output download in Chrome with an extension?

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I'm running Windows 10 and WF 8.105.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Anatess,

This is a result of a change by Chrome in how it recognizes webarchive files. It no longer provides the extension for whatever reason. You need to change your redirection settings for your excel extensions to save to the server. This will create a file with the .xls/.xlsx extension instead of the xmh/xht formats. If you need help with which one specifically to change, please post all of your redirection settings related to all Excel formats and we can help point you in the right direction.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response.

We already have the redirection settings for .xht set to yes/yes. All other Excel-type extensions are set to no/no. We had this change made when IE decided to not open .xht files anymore. So, in IE, the file downloads with the .xls extension.

Regards,
Anatess

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
its not the xht setting. Its the excel ones. there are multiple different extensions for excel.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're all set to no/no except for .xht. Should I set them all to yes/yes?

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
yes, but only the ones related to excel. It is worth reading the help files on the redirection settings. For instance, I don't have my PDF files set the same as my excel files. You need to understand the needs of your organization and how you want things to work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eric.woerle,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

Yes, we have our redirect settings set to how we want it. We only need .xht to be set to yes/yes as that is the only Excel output that we need to redirect since IE, for some reason, does not recognize .xht files as Excel files anymore. It has no problems with the other Excel extensions. Therefore, we only need to redirect the .xht output so that it will download the file then the Save Report setting is also set to Yes so that the user will have the option to Open the file.

This is how we want it.

But, for some reason. Google chrome downloads the file without the .xht or .xls extension. It saves the file to the download directory as WFServlet(n) without an extension so that when we open the file we have to associate the darned thing to Excel.

This doesn't happen in either IE or Firefox. Both browsers honor the extension that Webfocus assigns to it so we can just open the file after it is downloaded and it opens in Excel.

I want to know if you have the same issue in your WF 7.7 installation. If you don't, I'd like to know why that is so we can fix our set-up.

I perused the mime headers of the WFServlet file produced on an output format EXL2K and I realized that there is no specified content-disposition on the header. This may be why Chrome doesn't honor the extension. But, I don't know how to fix it.

Regards,
Anatess

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Set redirection as above also add the following at the beginning of your fex, in a profile or _site_profile :
SET WEBARCHIVE = OFF

and let us know of the result. Me I had to add the above to make GC download properly Excel files.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Anatess,

Your reasoning is flawed in that when you set your PCHOLD format to XLSX or XLS that the intended out put is .xht. Its not. Its supposed to be excel, IBI just uses a web format because its not saving to the server. That's why you are changing the other excel output types. So it does save it to an .xlsx/.xls format before sending the file over. You're focusing on the wrong issue. Chrome will never add the .xht extension. If you for whatever reason (and I don't know why you would want it) want the .xht extension added onto the end of the file then you are looking for help in the wrong forum. That is a Chrome issue and one that was done by design. It was changed in version 40 something of chrome(42 I think). If you won't head our advice then I would suggest contacting google and having them explain why they remove .xht file extensions from the file.

By the way, I've been through this in my own system, I know exactly what the problem is and I have resolved it exactly as I described. Yes I found this issue in 7.7.03 and you will find it in every version of webFOCUS because its not a webFOCUS issue. I guess your other solution would be to downgrade Chrome.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
We have the same problem. If we make the change, it affects how IE works, so for the moment, since IE is the only officially supported web browser, we're not fixing the problem for Chrome.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Still no solution for an environment with BOTH Chrome and IE?

P.S. Why was this closed (most likely by IBI)?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post