Focal Point
[CLOSED] New to FOCUS 4.3.5

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6517075376

November 17, 2014, 03:34 AM
PGPoulsen
[CLOSED] New to FOCUS 4.3.5
Hi

I have been assigned to maintain an old FOCUS system that uses FOCUS 4.3.5.

I know NOTHING about FOCUS and I must admit I find it a bit hard to learn from what I have been able to find on the net.

Can anyone here recommend some good material to read for a complete FOCUS-noob?

Thanks in advance
Yours
/peter

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,
November 17, 2014, 05:15 AM
Alan B
This is an 'it depends' type of question. What aspects of the WebFOCUS language does the system use?
Your release is totally out of date and is difficult to support.
For starters register on the Technical Support site, and look at the available documents for Creating Reports and Application Development.
However, I strongly recommend that you contact your local IB office and get someone in for a day to help get you started. It is surprising how effective that can be to get you going.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
November 17, 2014, 03:25 PM
Waz
And its FOCUS as well, isn't it Peter ?

This version would be 30 years old.

Hoping that it is WebFOCUS 4.3.5

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

November 17, 2014, 04:22 PM
susannah
there was a webfocus 435...
i think that's what we started with at time inc... ouch some grey matter just exploded.
PG,edit your signature on this forum so we know where you are, op sys, etc.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
November 17, 2014, 04:33 PM
Waz
I think we started with 4.3.x here as well, 13-14 years ago.

Ah the good old days.

Life was simple, mem were real mem, women were...

Hang on I'm getting off topic.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

November 17, 2014, 05:00 PM
Doug
Peter, Can you get any dates off of the "old FOCUS" procedures? Preferably the original creation date.

Some of us as "old FOCUSers"... maybe as old as those fexes... Heck, Maybe one of us wrote it...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206
November 18, 2014, 10:11 PM
David Briars
quote:

I've been thinking about doing an 'Introduction to WebFOCUS' presentation either locally or at Summit.

Its purpose would be to provide an overall understanding of Information Builders' WebFOCUS product. It wouldn't demo tools, nor develop code, as much as, it would introduce someone to thinking in WebFOCUS.

If you'd like a copy of the .pptx, please feel free to send me a PM with your email.

If anyone else would like a copy feel free to PM as well. I'd love to have folks opinion or thoughts about the material.

Also, I've always liked Grzegorz Swietlik's article 'What Is WebFOCUS? A Developer's Perspective' available here .
November 19, 2014, 05:51 AM
Pravin.Singh
quote:
Originally posted by PGPoulsen:
Hi

I have been assigned to maintain an old FOCUS system that uses FOCUS 4.3.5.

I know NOTHING about FOCUS and I must admit I find it a bit hard to learn from what I have been able to find on the net.

Thanks in advance
Yours
/peter

Hey Peter,

Share your mail Id. I'll share the documents I have with me.

Thanks,
Pravin

WebFOCUS 7703
Windows, All Outputs
pravinsinghwebfocus.blogspot.com
November 20, 2014, 08:10 AM
<Emily Duensing>
I would suggest you look into take a couple of the courses on the base syntax (language). They are offered online and they would give you a very good base knowledge of the language which you will be seeing. You should look for the following courses, Basic Reporting, Intermediate Reporting and Advanced Reporting at informationbuilders.com\education.
September 05, 2015, 12:31 PM
David Briars
quote:
I've been thinking about doing an 'Introduction to WebFOCUS' presentation either locally or at Summit. Its purpose would be to provide an overall understanding of Information Builders' WebFOCUS product. It wouldn't demo tools, nor develop code, as much as, it would introduce someone to thinking in WebFOCUS.

I did go ahead and complete this project. The presentation was made to the Chicago Users Group, and is available here:
http://www.informationbuilders.../presentations/19211
This was a thirty minute presentation.

I am thinking about expanding it to sixty minutes, and submitting a proposal for the next Summit. So any suggestions for improvement/additions would be most welcome.