Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] New to FOCUS 4.3.5

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] New to FOCUS 4.3.5
 Login/Join

posted
Hi

I have been assigned to maintain an old FOCUS system that uses FOCUS 4.3.5.

I know NOTHING about FOCUS and I must admit I find it a bit hard to learn from what I have been able to find on the net.

Can anyone here recommend some good material to read for a complete FOCUS-noob?

Thanks in advance
Yours
/peter

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is an 'it depends' type of question. What aspects of the WebFOCUS language does the system use?
Your release is totally out of date and is difficult to support.
For starters register on the Technical Support site, and look at the available documents for Creating Reports and Application Development.
However, I strongly recommend that you contact your local IB office and get someone in for a day to help get you started. It is surprising how effective that can be to get you going.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And its FOCUS as well, isn't it Peter ?

This version would be 30 years old.

Hoping that it is WebFOCUS 4.3.5

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
there was a webfocus 435...
i think that's what we started with at time inc... ouch some grey matter just exploded.
PG,edit your signature on this forum so we know where you are, op sys, etc.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think we started with 4.3.x here as well, 13-14 years ago.

Ah the good old days.

Life was simple, mem were real mem, women were...

Hang on I'm getting off topic.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Peter, Can you get any dates off of the "old FOCUS" procedures? Preferably the original creation date.

Some of us as "old FOCUSers"... maybe as old as those fexes... Heck, Maybe one of us wrote it...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been thinking about doing an 'Introduction to WebFOCUS' presentation either locally or at Summit.

Its purpose would be to provide an overall understanding of Information Builders' WebFOCUS product. It wouldn't demo tools, nor develop code, as much as, it would introduce someone to thinking in WebFOCUS.

If you'd like a copy of the .pptx, please feel free to send me a PM with your email.

If anyone else would like a copy feel free to PM as well. I'd love to have folks opinion or thoughts about the material.

Also, I've always liked Grzegorz Swietlik's article 'What Is WebFOCUS? A Developer's Perspective' available here .

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGPoulsen:
Hi

I have been assigned to maintain an old FOCUS system that uses FOCUS 4.3.5.

I know NOTHING about FOCUS and I must admit I find it a bit hard to learn from what I have been able to find on the net.

Thanks in advance
Yours
/peter

Hey Peter,

Share your mail Id. I'll share the documents I have with me.

Thanks,
Pravin

WebFOCUS 7703
Windows, All Outputs
pravinsinghwebfocus.blogspot.com

Posts: 51 | Location: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 | Registered: June 19, 2014Report This Post
<Emily Duensing>
posted
I would suggest you look into take a couple of the courses on the base syntax (language). They are offered online and they would give you a very good base knowledge of the language which you will be seeing. You should look for the following courses, Basic Reporting, Intermediate Reporting and Advanced Reporting at informationbuilders.com\education.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been thinking about doing an 'Introduction to WebFOCUS' presentation either locally or at Summit. Its purpose would be to provide an overall understanding of Information Builders' WebFOCUS product. It wouldn't demo tools, nor develop code, as much as, it would introduce someone to thinking in WebFOCUS.

I did go ahead and complete this project. The presentation was made to the Chicago Users Group, and is available here:
http://www.informationbuilders.../presentations/19211
This was a thirty minute presentation.

I am thinking about expanding it to sixty minutes, and submitting a proposal for the next Summit. So any suggestions for improvement/additions would be most welcome.