Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Graph Legend - How to control

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Graph Legend - How to control
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Advanced Graph Assistant.

I'd like to make the space between the series narrower so I can fit my four series in one line.

There does not appear to be any point-and-click setting for this. Do I have to wade through that scary looking "graphics" manual?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis, As far as I have seen, there's no setting for that. However, the legend is placed in an object, like a text box, which has the position and size properties. So, with that in mind, I placed it where I wanted it and resized the width so that everything fit on one line.

I hope this helps.
Doug

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Wading never hurt anyone, until you go too deep.....

Smiler

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Doug, I don't see what you describe. I'm in Advanced Graph Assistant. On the left are the Chart type, Data selection and Chart editor tabs. On the bottom are the editable properties. On the top is a representation of the graph.

I don't see any method to move the legend using the GUI - in fact, there appears to be no interaction with the graph.

Meanwhile, I clicked on Help in Advanced Graph Assistant. Searched for "legend" - found several hits. Clicked on one of them. Instructions in this Help item include:

quote:

Create a chart.
Click the Format tab in the Control Panel.
Click Reference in the Features group.

What's the Control Panel? What's the Format tab? I don't see either of these two things.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Select Chart Editor, 6 folders appear(7.6.11, may be more with 7.7.x), 2nd is Series, Click on All Series, or, 3rd is Legend, Click on Labels, General or Markers. In the Quick Chart will be the properties to change...

Example

Not a very clear image, click it to enlarge...

hth

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for your response. I have already found the Legend Properties, but I see nothing that allows me to change the width of the legend or to reduce the space between each element in the legend.

And I still haven't found the "Control Panel" that the documentation mentions.

Regards,

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

Well, if you are constrained by the GUI, look in the Chart folder. What "we" do is, come out of the GUI and use the API's. Then, go back into the GUI and find them. Here's some actual code:

setRect(getLegendArea(),new Rectangle(2941,-9520,3266,10800));
setRect(getTitle(),new Rectangle(-10660,14020,19106,1800));
setRect(getO1TitleO(),new Rectangle(-10600,-14933,16469,2533));

But, I never go back in and try to find them; really don't care. Use the GUI for the basics, then add/chg/mod the API...

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for the sample code! I'll give that a try.

I imagine when Doug mentioned "I placed it where I wanted it and resized the width so that everything fit on one line" he meant using the code, not from some GUI interface...

Cheers,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think that the (Advanced) Graph code makes use of "Perspective for Java" for its styling. The documentation for that is far from brilliant, but it does help to figure out some of the things you can do with graphs in WebFOCUS.
I tend to use this link: http://www.threedgraphics.com/.../doc/perspective.htm
(Primarily the Methods section)

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

There are a couple of things you can try to in AGA to force the Legend to display horizontally.

1. In Chart Editor, Legend General menu, set property 'Legend Orientation' to Horizontal. Equivalent syntax is setLegendOrient(1);.

2. In the same menu, set property 'Legend markers per row' to 4 (since you have 4 series). Equivalent syntax is setLegendOrient(4);

On documentation, please refer to WF Graphics manual available here http://documentation.informati...7graph/wf77graph.pdf since it has the latest information. Anything posted on threedgraphics website is not up-to-date.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thank you. But how do you make the space between the series narrower?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

Is it possible for you to show a visual example? That will help with understand the issue.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try experimenting with this method:
setLineStyleLegendMarkers(0/1/2/3);

It definitely affects spacing between legend text/markers when the legend is horizontal and the markers are not lines. So it might have an impact on vertical legends, too. Worth a try.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It looks like the space for the longest text is reserved for each legend label. Why would that be the default?

setLineStyleLegendMarkers doesn't seem to change this space.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

From our technicals: Unfortunately there is no way to do this at this time.
However, I would suggest instead of having all 4 legends in 1 row, to split them into 2 rows.
You can accomplish this in AGA:
Chart Editor -> Legend -> General -> Legend markers per row.
Change from default 0 to 2.
Or you can use the following API call:
setLegendMarkersPerRow(2);

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Kerry,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not put the legend on two rows. I did find this option, which is a better solution for me:

Chart Editor -> Legend -> Markers -> Legend markers position above.

setLegendMarkerPosition(2);

Francis