Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] By default checkboxes behave like radio buttons.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] By default checkboxes behave like radio buttons.
 Login/Join

posted
When I create checkbox in HTML Layout Painter, by default, when I run the HTML page it only allows the user to select one checkbox, like a radio button. How do I set it up to select multiple values?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Webfocus relase 764
Linux
All mentioned including AHTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think the first thing you should endeavour to do is to learn a little HTML to understand your problem, especially if you are expected to be able to create launch pages.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What, no PMs Tony? Send me one...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'll give one hint: look at the names of the checkboxes.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Sent ......

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
awendt, delete the offending checkbox control and regenerate the request button to re-add the checkbox...

Update your Focal Point profile so we know what versions of what you're running as different versions may have different solutions... And Learn DevStudio...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
First, Tony A and GamP ... thanks for helping me figure out what the "ignore list" is and how to use it to weed out annoying people who act like they are smarter than everyone else. Puffing themselves up putting other people down.

Second, can someone give me a straightforward, non-deprecating, concrete answer to what I'm trying to accomplish? Also, if you are like Tony A and GamP and are clearly too intelligent to answer a simple, straightforward question; please, save your dazzling intellectual might for a better cause. Solve world hunger, or get a life or something that is worthy of your profound brilliance.

Webfocus relase 764
Linux

Master
posted Hide Post
Awendt,

Checkboxes allow you to receive multiple values. Like radio buttons, all checkboxes
in a set have the same name but different values.
However, unlike radio buttons, a visitor is free to choose one or more checkboxes.

quote:

What kind/s of music do you listen to?

Rock

Reggae

Pop

Rap

Metal

Is it possible that you are not following the example above with regard to
the name/value pairs? I see the point that GamP and Tony A are trying to
make.

I hope this helps.

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Checkboxes allow you to receive multiple values. Like radio buttons, all checkboxes in a set have the same name but different values. However, unlike radio buttons, a visitor is free to choose one or more checkboxes.

Let's see how we can extract the value of a checkbox.

quote:

<form name="orderform">
What kind/s of music do you listen to?<br>
<input type="checkbox" name="music" value="Rock" checked="checked">
Rock<br>
<input type="checkbox" name="music" value="Reggae">
Reggae<br>
<input type="checkbox" name="music" value="Pop">
Pop<br>
<input type="checkbox" name="music" value="Rap">
Rap<br>
<input type="checkbox" name="music" value="Metal">
Metal<br>
<input type="submit" onclick="get_check_value()">
</form>

Is it possible that you are not following the example above with regard to
the name/value pairs? I see the point that GamP and Tony A are trying to
make.

I hope this helps.

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. I see that if I create MULTIPLE checkboxes, the checkboxes can be multi-selected. But I'm trying to use a single checkbox control, populate it with "Dynamic" values (from a synonym), and have the user select multiple checkboxes, values taken from the values in a synonym.

For example, suppose I have a synonym with first names: "Joe", "Bob", "Mike". I use the parameters tab to import the values from the synonym, and automatically populate "Joe", "Bob", "Mike" into checkboxes (which, by the way, I can get to work.) When I run the HTML form, however, it only allows the selection of one, single checkbox (either Joe, or Bob, or Mike) to be selected. I want muliple selections so in my parameterized call to a procedure, I can use a where clause to say, for example, where "Fname contains &FNAME_PARMS."

Webfocus relase 764
Linux

Master
posted Hide Post
For multiple checkboxes, you need to load them into an ARRAY to process them as a list.

If your checkbox has the same name attribute, then add [] to the name

quote:

If all checkbox are checked, it will return an array as follow array("1","2","3").
You can then add some js to handle the incoming data.

Hope this helps

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Master
posted Hide Post
If your checkbox has the same name attribute, then add [] to the name:

quote:

<input type="checkbox" name="test[]" value="1">
<input type="checkbox" name="test[]" value="2">
<input type="checkbox" name="test[]" value="3">

If all checkbox are checked, it will return an array as follow array("1","2","3").
You can then add some js to handle the incoming data.

Hope this helps

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Expert
posted Hide Post
awendt,

No one is setting themselves up to sound smarter than anyone else, I just think that if you are expected to create launch pages in your job, a little HMTL training or understanding should be paramount.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi awendt,

Please refer to the earlier topic regarding being professional and positive on this board.

Thanks for everyone's help on this issue.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post