Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] 8.0.05 Dev Studio Save Fex Issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] 8.0.05 Dev Studio Save Fex Issue
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I remember we had this issue way back on version 5, but in testing 8.0.05 we have found
if you copy a fex within Dev Studio from version 7 to version 8 and then go in and edit - adding more code and get over 22.2 kb, save it and get out of it...it is gone - poof.
If you build it from scratch seems to be ok.

Anyone else experienced this? We have opened a case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Prarie,

Thank you for opening a case for this issue. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So far - IBI can't reproduce.

Can anyone else?

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This sounds familiar. Without looking it up I can't be sure but you might check for this.

Our issue was a comment line in a fex beginning with -* but not starting in col 1.

BTW, we are not on WF8 but we are getting there so I can check this yet.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We will look into that scenario.

Thanks

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We tested the comment not in col 1 -* didn't help. Thanks for the idea.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
on WF8

Have similar problem in 7703; blanks out a file and creates a 'zero byte' file. It was something about the way the software deletes a file first when saving so if the process gets interupted...poof. I have a system that backs up the app folder hourly for the rare occasion when this happens and have to grab the last copy.

8.2.03 AIX Client Windows Tomcat
DB2, Terradata, SQL, Oracle

Posts: 56 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas USA | Registered: January 27, 2012Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We used to have this problem with 7.6.11.

I'm not sure what happened that it got solved, but I recall there was some issue with two DNS servers on our network with different configurations. There was also a hotfix that supposedly solved it, but if you're suffering the same problem in more recent versions of WF then maybe that's not the case...

Regardless, when saving a file over the network, you'd expect to at least receive an error if there was a problem while saving the file.

I did mention that in the case I opened for 7.6.11, but apparently a change like that would have a significant performance impact on the network protocol (I still have a hard time believing that).

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We are a new webFOCUS client. We started with 8003 and have upgraded to 8007.

I haven’t been able to recreate - so I'm not sure of the exact steps...however - from time to time - we have seen this (or at least a very similar issue)

For an existing *.fex (not 0 byte) - sometimes - if my report guy opens that file up - makes a tweak - he gets an error message about saving the changes.
Unable to save file
IBFS:/Test/WFC/Repository/H2OSales/Multi/Sales_Summary_byMo_YoY_by_Customer.fex

When he comes back - sometimes it's a 0 byte file - and NOTHING is in the *.fex again.

I have yet to log a ticket on this - as it has not happened often - and I'm not sure how to re-create. When it does happen – it’s pretty unpleasant :-)

It would sure be nice if it lost the connection (I’m just guessing here) – and it can’t save – it shouldn’t wipe out the old code.

webFOCUS 8207.15
WindowsServer 2019

Posts: 120 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 26, 2013Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Was there a solution for this issue? We are now experiencing the same error message in webfocus 8.0.9. This is affecting all our developers. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks

8.0.9, Windows
excel / pdf

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We have this happen with developer studio and it was a timeout issue. When it happens you can cancel the message then do a ctrl-a of the code and either save it somewhere else or hold it in the clipboard then log in and out of dev studio if the file is 0 bytes then paste in the code and save. Though usually only get the 0 byte file on new code. If in the dev studio and accessing code on the reporting server we would get 0 byte files when they went above a certain size. On that one we had something in the site_profile that wf 8 didn't like. What was strange was it only didn't like so would give us 3 byte empty file. Only did it on large fexes, which made it appear random.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
SOLVED:
here's the solution:
1. Edit the ibi\WebFOCUS80\client\wfc\etc\cgivars.wfs file

Change the language value from

IBIWF_language =EN
to
IBIWF_language =en

Note: if you change the _site_profile value in the Adminstration console it caused this value to revert to IBIWF_language=EN which triggered the issue. So to avoid this from happening again and until the fix is available, you should refrain from making configuration changes.
2. From the SQL Server Management Console log in as sysdba and choose the wf8repository database. Run the two SQL Statements to change the incorrect values in the DB.

UPDATE WF_NLSOBJ set WF_LNG='en_US' where WF_LNG='EN_US';
UPDATE WF_REPOSOBJ set DEF_LNG='en_US' where DEF_LNG='EN_US'; 3. Stop Tomcat 4. Clear ibi/tomcat/logs 5. Delete ibi/tomcat/work 6. Start Tomcat

NOTE: there is a patch for this issue

8.0.9, Windows
excel / pdf