Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Rebuild and Variable

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Rebuild and Variable
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Does anyone have any suggestions on the following --
I have a FOCUS table which has field
endng_dt I8MDYY
once a month I delete records from this table using the REBUILD. I set variable
-SET &E_DT = 11012004;
Here is the rebuild code--
REBUILD
REBUILD
DYS_MV
YES
ENDNG_DT GT &E_DT,$
-RUN

what I overlooked was the date in the focus table is in MDYY format and the variable I defined is also in MDYY format so the statment
02052005 > 11012004 is considered false because it views it as a alpha filed and 02 is not greater than 11. I want to avoid changing the format in the Focus table. Any thougths on how I can temporarily convert both dates to YYMD so comparison is true.

Posts: 69 | Location: OH | Registered: November 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you absolutely must keep the field in I8MDYY format, I can see two ways around this.
1. Cleaner - Delete all records meeting your selection before performing the REBUILD.
2. Messier - Have a copy of the date field in I8YYMD format, on which you base can your rebuild selection.

Posts: 15 | Location: New York | Registered: April 02, 2004Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
I haven't worked with a FOCUS DB in a long time, but, would it be possible to add a DEFINEd field in the Master and base it on the MDYY field?

I'm not sure if the REBUILD condition will work on the DEFINEd field, but it's worth a try.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If Rebuild allowed screening on a defined field, you could insert the DEFINE in the MFD
DEFINE END_DATE/YYMD=E_DT;$
and screen on that
END_DATE GE '&A_YYMD_VALUE',$

-- but my recollection is that it must be a real field, in which case you're stuck.

An alternative is to delete the records whose dates are out of range (using MODIFY), and then do a simple REBUILD without conditions.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
-SET &SMARTTODAY = DATECVT(&E_DT, 'I8','MDYY');
this ought to convert your &var input 11012004 into a smartdate.
see it that helps, and let us know.
otherwise, robin's solution might be the one that gets you home for dinner.

---oh, i see now, jack. i had thought her db field was smart. i see now it isn't. eww.
cheri, i think we'ld all agree that i would be worth your while to recreate your db with a date format that was orderable, either i8yymd or smart. would avoid this problem in the future.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
[qb] -SET &SMARTTODAY = DATECVT(&E_DT, 'I8','MDYY');
this ought to convert your &var input 11012004 into a smartdate.
see it that helps, and let us know.
otherwise, robin's solution might be the one that gets you home for dinner. [/qb]
Whatever value that would place in the &var, the condition in the REBUILD still compares it to an I8 field containing a +mmddyyyy value, so that's not a solution.

Another possible tack: Replace the real I8MDYY field with a smart date field of another name, and add back the original name as a define. Depending on several factors, that might have no impact on reporting, and minimal, localised impact on data maintenance.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Jack -
not sure what you mean by --
Another possible tack: Replace the real I8MDYY field with a smart date field of another name, and add back the original name as a define.

do this in the master file descritpion ?

Posts: 69 | Location: OH | Registered: November 09, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It would be change to the app -- requiring a revision of the MFD, plus a one-time change to the data files.

Assuming the date field is not indexed, it should have no impact on file size (since dumb and smart dates are both ACTUAL=I4) or reporting logic (since the old fieldname still yields the old i8mdyy value), and would require only minimal change to the existing data maintenance (MODIFY or MAINTAIN) programs -- but it enables the REBUILD to discard aged records.