Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] 8105 Responsive Design Framework Add-On Templates Going to 8202
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] 8105 Responsive Design Framework Add-On Templates Going to 8202
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have created responsive content with the RDF add-on templates in 8105. We have just installed WF 8202. I have installed App Studio 8202. I do not see the HTML templates I created from the RDF add-on templates in 8105. Does anyone know if we can get to these templates in App Studio 8202?

Also, I can edit the portal I created with the RDF add-on templates in the 8202 Portal Designer with the BI repository. Are we suppose to or can we edit them from the 8202 Portal Designer and remove and add content from there and all...and it will keep the responsive properties?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC

In 8.2.02 the responsive templates are built into the html composer as a selection when you create an html page.

If your admins created a fresh repository when they installed 8.2.02 then you will have to create a change management package to import the 8.1.05 templates. Otherwise I am surprised they don't show up in 8.2.02.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck. Supposedly the admin pulled everything that was in the 8105 repository, but I don't see the responsive templates I created from the add-on change management package in 8105. So are you saying that I have to get those 8105 templates I created with an import to 8202?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi AMC

Yes they must have missed them...

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Well, I do see them in the 8202 BI repository domain content folder and didn't notice them before. I can view them there, but can not edit them. So what do you think now?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC

That must be your security permissions.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

What about the fact that I can see them in the 8202 BI repository, but I can not in 8202 App Studio? You're not saying that is a security permission issue are you?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC

Are you saying that in the web interface of WebFOCUS and see them but not in App Studio?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Yes, that's correct.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Any ideas based on that?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I resolved the issue. I see them in both environments now. Thanks for your help.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC (theaters?...jk),

So, as Chuck was touching on, the RDF templating from the 8.1 beta era of 8 are now partially baked into the HTMLComposer tooling in AppStudio; and the page templates you are referring to can either be CMed into the environment (sitting in the install on the client), or can also be accessed via the Legacy Home page navigated to from your top right menu of the new WF Home page.

Once in the Legacy home page, and if your admins have enabled Collaborative portals (pre-8202M), or if you're on 8202M, there should be a Global Resources folder at the bottom of your Resources tree on the left. The templates are found therein. By design (whether you're an admin or not), you can only copy them from that area to where ever you are wanting to use them in whichever domain you are in. Once copied, you can modify the copy to whatever end you design.

As of 8202M, there are several flavors/options to making an HTML page or dashboard layout. There's the new (very limited in functionality still) WF Designer (that only has limited page creation functionality thus far), the RDF templates as we've discussed, the Portal Page Designer, and AppStudio's clunky responsive layout engine via the HTML Canvas/Composer tool. Also, if you want to count it, InfoAssist's Document mode...

Personally, right now, we are using AppStudio's HTMLCantvas tool to generate our responsive filters, then dropping them into a page created from the Portal Page Designer using the bip-responsive-### CSS classes IBI so nicely provided us all to get them to stay up top and expand across the page properly (major props to them), finally placing these pages within the new V4 collaborative portal containers. Best end result thus far with what is available to the end user with maximum extensibility one can get when you want to work with code (HTML/CSS/Js via HTMLFORM blocks). We use jQuery and CSS extensively to override IBI HTML generated to get the effects we want out of our widgets and reports. We've baked in our own version of DataTables.js as well (lots more functionality and better overall than what is available via the HTML5 Extensions library on Github currently) standardizing layout and functionality for all our user facing reporting via portals. Turning out really nice, finally.

Hope the above helps!
CoolGuy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey there CoolGuy,

About this quote...
quote:
there should be a Global Resources folder at the bottom of your Resources tree on the left. The templates are found therein.
What is it that populates these folders. I have The Global Resources folder, Page Templates, PGX Page Templates, and Themes folders. But, they're all empty.

Thanks, Doug / 8202M

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug,

In earlier versions (8.1) you had to know some JSON to enable and add in the Global Resources that are actually tied to working with IBI's new collaborative Portals (V4). In 8.2.01 (I think) to 8.2.02, you had to enable Collaborative Portals within the client settings of your Admin Console. Now in 8202M, it should be enabled and the Global Resources available to you by default. I would check your Admin Console setting for Collaborative Portals to see if the box is checked for it. If not, check it, and refresh/clear your session/client cache afterwards. Should be populated. If not, you may need to open a case.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Does all that hold true if, which we do, have Collaborative Portals enabled? I'm just looking to "create a portal page" as in the Creating Responsive Pages with WebFOCUS Designer video (This is a great video Smiler). This shows that the 'filter panel' will automatically be added to the page', which is what I need to do, but, not having a template or a page to copy, prevents me from getting to step 1.

I went back to the video in hopes to find what I couldn't in the tech library.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It's OK, I found my answer on Page 63 of Business Intelligence Portal Release 8.2 Version 02
Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aha! The new WF Designer tool. Global Resources are unrelated to such (from what I know thus far). The WF Designer relies on how you've set up your filtering in your requests to populate your filter controls (you must bring in content first and the Designer grabs unresolved parameters). You can have them always present up top (collapsible), or get to them via a modal. My colleague has been the first of our team to really dig into this new tool. So far, we've discovered there is no way to add controls/filters manually. They all require content to populate from what we've seen. The pre-WF Designer portal page designer relies on you supplying the HTML pages to it or using templates, wherein the WF Designer simply needs the content to generate the HTML filtering, etc. It uses a snap grid system (which I really like) to help you layout your page (keeping things responsive) as well. I don't believe the WF Designer gives you templates from which to work from though. You have to layout your page yourself.

Isn't it fun? They've got so many different ways to build portals and pages, but everything you need is spread out across 4+ tool sets that you have to piece together in hopes of getting a finished product. lol I've been fighting this very thing for like forever with them. They have grown leaps and bounds though in getting things looking modern and working modernly (web). They just need to replace AppStudio's HTML Composer tool by adding in the ability to manually set up your controls/filters (manual chaining & hidden controls desired) within the new WF Designer, as well as provide templates to start your layout with (a nicety in my eyes -- not needed really) and they are golden. I could literally not even need AppStudio anymore at all if they baked the HTML Composer filtering functionality (the needed parts described above) into the new WF Designer (manual setup). I can't access the metadata canvas tool via AppStudio anymore due to a bug (use the Reporting Server Console's Data Assist feature instead). I still use AppStudio to edit content code since I can still somewhat configure a half-hearted "dark theme" via the Text Editor tab's Font Style options, but other than that and setting app paths on Content folders, I really don't use AppStudio all that much anymore. If the WF Home page's text editor had a dark theme option, I would use that instead and literally only ever open AppStudio to manually set up responsive filtering for a portal page. Then close it again. It's got a huge footprint that could rival that of Visual Studio's, and most of the time I feel ashamed of working in it due to how outdated and slow it looks and feels (is). I'm always always getting Not Responding messages when doing simple things from within it. Anywho...sorry to rant. I've just almost hit my "I'm done with IBI" point... Thanks for hearing me out.

Expert
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you, and your colleague, have come a long way. I hope that you don't reach that "I'm done with IBI" point. I'm still believing in the "We Can Do That in WebFOCUS!"

I THOUGHT that I found my answer on Page 63 of Business Intelligence Portal Release 8.2 Version 02 However, I don't have a "Blank" Template as menitoed in that video. Frowner

I guess it's back to App Studio / HTML/Document (HTML Composer) to create my parameter page / "filter" for the items in my portal.

BTW: Are you going to Summit?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. Nice caricature! I'm trying to hold on. It's just looking pretty dismal with a constant flow of open cases that never end, errors and limitations blocking us left and right, etc. I'm just spent on it all.

Yeah, I'd use AppStudio's HTML tooling to build your responsive filtering, then plug it into the current portal page designer within a responsive panel. Give it the bip-responsive-1 CSS class and you should be good to go. Then just add or adjust your other panels to house the content requesting those filter params. Once done, just reference the page via the option in the portal designer, and you have yourself what you're looking for.

Good luck!

As for Summit, we are very unsure as of yet. We are behind in delivering quite a few ROI projects due to spending the past year+ with IBI support trying to fix things and building workarounds and product extensions that we needed to get things going w/o spending a fortune trying to get the functionality from IBI. We're almost out of the dark hole though. Finally, partially, back into content creation. It's been a long haul.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Doug,

If this helps, my workflow when building filters in AppStudio's HTML tooling:

1. Launch HTML tool in the spot you want something created.
2. Just skip all the dialog boxes that pop up to assist those still using the product to build pages (unless you desire to). We've never had luck.
3. Go directly to the Requests & Data Sources panel on the right.
4. Using the arrow to the right of the new item button up top, choose the 6th item down dubbed "Requests->Parameters->Filter Panel..." and find and choose your fex that houses your unresolved params. Hit OK.
5. Choose whatever control types you want each of the unresolved params to be via the pop-up.
6. Use the tool to make adjustments to and flesh out your filter presentation a bit.
7. Save work. Badda'bing, badda'bam.

Bet ^^^ was far easier than trying to use the docs... lol

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Also, I'd use the current portal page designer to build your page. Not AppStudio's HTML tool. My 2 cents.

Expert
posted Hide Post
That's what I need: "Requests->Parameters->Filter Panel..."
instead of "Requests->Parameters->Controls..."... Monday is another day. Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks, that caricature was done at Summit 2009, Nashville... This year should be my 8th?

~ Doug

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sweet. Glad to be of help. You as well!

That's fun. Yeah, I've only been to 3 so far. You've got me beat. Not that it's a contest or anything. haha

Expert
posted Hide Post
Smiler
quote:
Badda'bing, badda'bam

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I don't have a "Blank" Template as mentioned in that video. (posted Fri Mar 23 2018 17:24)
Where can I get it and where do I put it?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,

I've been trying to follow your post. I am not quite following you posts. I have been doing work with the RDF responsive templates in 8105. I have an environment upgraded to 8202 now and will be working with my portal I created with the RDF templates in 8202 in addition to other things in 8202. I thought I could not get to the templates in 8202 App Studion I created with the RDF cm package....but I do see them there.

So my question is...why do you need a blank template?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I tried finding the directory again on my end, but with no luck. Last time I went looking for it, I believe Chuck helped me find it in the end. I'd ask him.

Expert
posted Hide Post
AMC,
quote:
So my question is...why do you need a blank template?
I am having difficulty with some of the results of Responsive Portals. So, I went 'back to class' and followed the That Video just to check myself. That video uses a 'blank' template. thus making that video useless. Other than, the video is fine.

So, back to my questions: Where can I get the "Blank Template" as mentioned in that video? And where can I get it and where do I put it?

The more we analyze my issue, the more it looks to be an issue with responsive portals that worked in 8201 but don't work in 8202. It be be due to 'a lot' of JavaScript used in these 'Portal Pages'. Please don't ask why there's so much JavaScript there as All I can say to that is that I didn't composes those pages.

Respectfully, Doug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When you say it used a "blank template"...are you saying it used a blank template outside of 8202 Portal Designer or App Studio?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Checking my 8202M environment, I do indeed have all 4 of those templates for the new WF Designer tool...including the Blank template.

Not sure why you don't have it showing up for you.

Sorry man!

I'd open a case and then sit back and pray it goes somewhere. lol I feel your frustrations though. Good luck!

Honestly, I'd rather have your problem than ours. Can't create anything new via the new WF Home UI. Have to keep going back to the Legacy Home page...cuz the same exact security setup works in the old UI but not the new. #remainingHairGetsWhiter #IBIsaysItsGAButItsStillBeta #noSuchThingAsGAWithIBI #theyllJustTellYouToUpgradeAgain #thenTheUpgradeWillHaveNewIssues #visciousCycleOfHeck