Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Deal with < and > in html file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Deal with < and > in html file
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone!!:

This is my first discussion topic but i've been searching for a while through Focal Point and Google to find any answer for my problem, but i haven't found any solution to this.

I've got a fex file that runs an htmlform passing various parameters without any problem.

This parameters contains SQL Sentences that appears at text boxes in the html file

In this way:

Textbox1 has in his default value !IBI.AMP.SQL_Sentence_01; as in fex it is &SQL_Sentence_01

The problem is:

If this &SQL_Sentence_01 has characters like '<' or '>' the html created with Composer seems not to deal with it. If the parameter doesn´t contains any of those characters, everything goes fine...

If we exit from the fex file just before the htmlform it shows the parameters without problem, so the problem must be related with the html source generated by Composer.

Does anyone knows how to deal with those special characters in the html file?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question has been answered previously, but as I've told you... I didn't find anything like this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WF 8.1
Windows Server 2008
SQL Server 2012

Posts: 24 | Registered: September 04, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you tried changing the < to <|

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
But I dont want to change those characters as I said, this are sql sentences and I like to see those sentences as they are written in the table.

Those sentences are used in Batch Processes (not through WF) and we'd like to be able to know what sql sentences are used in a Batch Process choosen by the user.

If the user plans to change the sentence... he paste the new sentence in the text box and it will be replaced in the table.

Or if he wants to know the result of any sentence that has been executed for this task, he only need to copy the sentence in the text box and execute it in the BBDD engine, so if we change those characters the task will fail as <| isn's works in the BBDD engine.

Any other idea?

Thanks in advance

WF 8.1
Windows Server 2008
SQL Server 2012

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For valid HTML, text in textarea's (or between any other HTML tags) needs to be escaped to not conflict with the HTML markup. Changing your strings when they're placed between HTML tags is mandatory. You can't avoid that when using HTML.

That said, the browser translates those strings back for the user as well, as long as you use HTML entities to escape your strings. In your case, you need to replace "<" and ">" with "&lt;" and "&gt;" respectively.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As Web5622 alluded, change the characters in the program, not the source.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
While I post my problem here...I also asked to Spain Tech Support Team for a solution for this issue.

They answered me yesterday, and as usually, they were Superbbbb.

This was the solution they gave me and it was a real stupid thing for me not to think about this before

This was the source just before calling the htmlform

-SET &SQL_Sentence_01 = &SQL_Sentence_1;

If we change this to the new sentence:

-SET &SQL_Sentence_01 = '"' | &SQL_Sentence_1 | '"';

everyting goes as it was supossed to be... fine!!!

It was only a matter of telling the htmlform that this parameter was literally a string!!!

Obvious.... isnt it?

Sometimes we look for a solution everywhere but the solution is right in front of us!!!

Thanks a lot Wazz and Wep5622

WF 8.1
Windows Server 2008
SQL Server 2012