Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Parse FOCEXEC only (just want the system messages)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Parse FOCEXEC only (just want the system messages)
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have a unique request. Is there a way to only parse a WebFOCUS focexec? Not run it, per se. More to the point, I want to see the system messages that get printed when running a report, but don't need the report output (just the messages). I'm thinking that this might be better on the server/database and speed up the results if I didn't have to wait around for output.

Some background, I have a large project with an extraordinary amount of potentially impacted programs due to a massive database upgrade that will deprecate tables/columns, change data types, change field sizes, etc. I have MFDs built pointing to the test system. I know that I will have a lot of false positives of programs that could be affected and am trying to determine a methodology for testing whether a program will need remediation.

- ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF

quote:
The XRETRIEVAL parameter previews the format of a report without actually accessing any data. This parameter enables you to perform TABLE, TABLEF, or MATCH requests and produce HOLD Master Files without processing the report.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I would also add SQL tracing to each report (via an INCLUDE):

-*** Deactivate SQL tracing
SET TRACEOFF    = ALL

-*** Show Optimization information
SET TRACEON    = SQLAGGR//CLIENT

-*** Show SQL statements
SET TRACEON    = STMTRACE//CLIENT

-*** Show SQL generated statement trace
-*SET TRACEON = STMTRACE/1/CLIENT

-*** Show SQL generated sub-statement trace
SET TRACEON    = STMTRACE/2/CLIENT

-*** Disable the trace stamp (Date/Time etc)
SET TRACESTAMP = OFF

-*** Set trace line wrapping - # of characters
SET TRACEWRAP  = 132

-*** Activate SQL tracing
SET TRACEUSER  = ON

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tried that before I posted and it didn't work as I hoped (at least on an unmodified program). This program in particular has MRNOEDIT INCLUDEs, multi-steps/holds, multi-joins, compound PDF output, etc. It is representational of what I will see "in the wild".

It fails for a variable assignment that occurs in the first MRNOEDIT INCLUDE.

- ABT

WF Environment:

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Expert
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, if there are -READ or -READFILE statements that generate Dialogue Manager variables that are subsequently used, XRETRIEVAL=OFF breaks them.

SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF only turns off data retrieval, but that can break other things. the MRNOEDIT INCLUDE must have code that retrieves data and puts it in DM variables...

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
A global record limit can be set:

SET RECORDLIMIT = nn

This might at least reduce run times in most cases.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea, I'll keep this in mind.

I've noticed that RECORDLIMIT does not pass any SQL based limits via the generated query where READLIMIT does (TOP # for SQL Server data sources and ROWNUM <= # for Oracle data sources). I tried SET READLIMIT = 0 and dumped the HTML and did not see any code appended [making me think it does not work as a global.

I have been told the intrinsic difference is that READLIMIT is faster because it off loads the limiter to the RDBMS, whereas RECORDLIMIT is managed by FOCUS and carries some overhead with it.

- ABT

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Satchell:
A global record limit can be set:

SET RECORDLIMIT = nn

This might at least reduce run times in most cases.

WF Environment:

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Master
posted Hide Post
Crap. :-( Thanks anyway for confirming.

quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Unfortunately, if there are -READ or -READFILE statements that generate Dialogue Manager variables that are subsequently used, XRETRIEVAL=OFF breaks them.

SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF only turns off data retrieval, but that can break other things. the MRNOEDIT INCLUDE must have code that retrieves data and puts it in DM variables...

WF Environment:

Databases: