Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Computed field as "stack of A0" in a datasource stack in Maintain app

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Computed field as "stack of A0" in a datasource stack in Maintain app
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a datasource stack "stkA". It contains the fields from a table in the database, 2 computed fields defined as A0, and 1 computed field defined as stack of A0 named stkA.AppID. I want to do this because on my form I'm using 1 combobox to select the the current row in stkA. Also when a particular row in stkA is selected, there is a 2nd combobox where other values can be selected for that particular row of stkA. I'd like to store those values for the 2nd combobox in stkA.AppID. I see the stkA.AppID field in Project Explorer but when I go to set the List Souce of the 2nd combobox, I only see the datasource fields and the 2 A0 computed fields but not stkA.AppID. Can't a computed field of "stack of A0" or even "stack of A15" inside a datasource stack be used as a List Source for a combobox? I know I can just declare a separate stack of A0 elsewhere by itself and not have it associated with stkA and that will work as a List Source of the 2nd combobox. But I thought it would be nice to associate the AppID field with stkA to make the code clearer. I like to go with a more OOP-like solution if possible. Am I stuck with having to use a stack variable separate from stkA? Here's some code:

infer servers.servers.SRV_NAME into stkA;
compute stkA.Contact / A0;
compute stkA.Phone / A0;
compute stkA.AppID / stack of A0;

I'd like to use stkA.AppID as a List Source for a combobox.

Thanks

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
A stack is only 2 dimensional, what you are looking for is a 3 dimensional or hierarchical stack.

It depends on your data source structure as to how best to achieve what you want.

A stack having only 2 dimensions is not less OOP-like, but how you link the stacks together can help the code be more readable/understandable/reusable. A separate stack of a0 will not help for you directly here i would guess, I would tend to have 2 stacks, one of SRV_NAME, one of SERV_NAME and AppID, then copy from the second stack to a stack for display, otherwise you may end up with duplicate entries.

I would tend to use a stack of a0 for single items not having a direct relationship with other data, like currency, number of items, weight, or single item selections that then cause other data to be retrieved.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Alan on this. There are somethings that you can accomplish with Maintain that I have never done, like adding a stack to a stack. I find that using a separate stack, and then equating the selection to a field in the first stack is just easier to follow and debug.

If you do want to persue this, look in the Maintain manual under the DESCRIBE command
(WebFOCUS Maintain Language Reference V7.1.3 > Command Reference > DESCRIBE)

This explains how to create classes, etc... To be honest, it is not something that I have done.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As Mark brought it up, classes are the most excellent way of using maintain in an OOP manner.

The DESCRIBE section of the documentation and training course does cover this, but the examples are a little weak I found when running training courses, so a little experimentation may be needed, but the benefits can be very worthwhile. I have used this a few times now and with a little patience it does come naturally.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I actually started looking at the documentation on classes today but I'll probably stick with using separate DECLAREd stacks like Alan suggested and I've already been using. I have a deadline for this application so I'll be going with the quickest solution at this point. Thanks for the responses.

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post