Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Changing the WebFOCUS Repository DBMS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Changing the WebFOCUS Repository DBMS
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I'd like to replace my current MySQL repository by MS SQL Server - is this as scary as it sounds?

I am hoping I can avoid a WF reinstall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

Do you want to salvage the data in the MySQL database or just start over from scratch?

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd like to salvage the data if possible.

Would it be better to start with a new database from scratch?

- Create a CM Export package from the old Repository
- Create the new Repository
- Import the previously created CM package

Is there a way to create a new Repository without having to reinstall the client?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a way but I couldn't find it officially documented.

1. Make your change management package first.
2. You will need the sqljdbc4.jar file on the client machine, it can be anywhere as you will reference it so Tomcat can find it. Many people put it in the ibi\WebFOCUS81\webapps\webfocus\WEB-INF\lib directory.
3. From the SQL Server management console create the new repository database and assign a SQL Server user database owner authority for that database
4. From the WebFOCUS client administration console under Application Settings / Repository change the IBI_Repos_DB_Driver to com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver change the IBI_Repos_DB_URL to jdbc:sqlserver://servername:1433;DatabaseName=wf81repository where servername is the machine name where SQL Server is running and change wf81repository to whatever you named you SQL Server database. Change the IBI_Repos_DB_User and IBI_Repos_DB_Password to the SQL Server user name and password. Save the changes
5. From the WF client Administrators console under Application Settings / Security make sure the following settings are in place. IBI_Authentication_Type is INTERNAL, IBI_Update_User_Info is False, IBI_User_Group_Membership_ExtAuthN is INTERNAL, IBI_User_Group_Membership-PreAuthN is INTERNAL and IBI_External_Group_Type is blanked out. If it is different than that you can navigate to the \ibi\WebFOCUS81\config directory and make a copy of the webconfig.xml before you click save and you will have a quick way to restore the security settings after the new repository is in place.
6. From File Explorer navigate to the \ibi\tomcat\bin directory right mouse click on tomcat8wfw.exe and choose Run as Administator. Click on the Java tab and modify the Java Classpath to remove the reference to the mysql jar file with the sqljdbc4.jar file.
7. Restart Apache tomcat service, it won't really start up correctly yet but you need it running for the next step.
8. From File Explorer navigate to \ibi\WebFOCUS81\utilities\WFReposUtil directory and run WFReposUtilGUI.bat. Log in with the SQL Server User / Password combo the run mode: should say CREATE_INSERT so click on the Run button and it should create the repository tables and base data required.
9. Restart Apache Tomcat service
10. Log in with admin id and run the change management import and add a valid user as administrator as the chanage management package will not create users (as you know)
11. If you saved off the webconfig.xml file with different security settings you can restore it and restart Apache Tomcat.
That should do it.. If you want me to be part of this we can do a WebEx and I can keep you on the straight and narrow.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Thanks for this detailed information. I'm familiar with some aspects of these instructions so I will give it a try one of these days. I'll certainly let you know if I have issues.

Much appreciated.

Francis