Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Can I retrieve db connection info with fex code?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Can I retrieve db connection info with fex code?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
My client outsourced all IT support together with webfocus servers. Unfortunately the company who "supports" us have no clue at all with webfocus. We developers have to walk them through step by step how to configure server settings while we are completely removed access to the server. Things get even worse lately that some ad-hoc user called the server support to add database connection without any coordination. The IT company would add multiple connections with different names to the same database without our knowing...

Long story short, is there a way I can run some fex code to retrieve:

1. a list of all db connections on the webfocus server;
2. type of the connection - we are running a mixed environment of DB2(UDB), DB2(Mainframe) and MS SQL
3. the default connection on the server

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.66 and 7.704
System: Windows / AIX / Linux
Output: Mostly HTML, with some PDF, Excel and Lotus(!)

Posts: 147 | Location: Toronto (GTA) | Registered: May 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
How awful for you! You could do a TABLE request against SYSTABLE but that would only identify the connections for masters already created.

A quick thing you could do would be to APP MAP to edaconf/etc, i.e /WebFOCUS/ibi/srv76/wfs/etc. You would then need a generic master with one giant field like A80 or something and filedef it to edasprof.prf. You can look for lines that start with ENGINE. You should be able to disconstruct those lines with a set of SUBSTR, GETTOK, and/or POSIT subroutines to get the information that you need. That would get you started.

Good luck.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input, GinnyJakes. I'm able to get output from the local edasprof.prf on my devstudio. But we have no access to the server, there is no way for me to insert a MAS file to it. Any other thoughts?

7.66 and 7.704
System: Windows / AIX / Linux
Output: Mostly HTML, with some PDF, Excel and Lotus(!)

Posts: 147 | Location: Toronto (GTA) | Registered: May 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you can do reports from the backend server, then you should be able to do what I suggested.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You do not really need access to the server to find out what it is doing.
You only need to run one simple request, even a one-liner with just comment will do.
But, you'll need to switch tracing on and have the tracing sent to the browser.
There are SET TRACEON commands to do just that.
If you put on full tracing, you will see exactly what steps are being taken by the server to handle your request, including what's in edasprof and/or your client profiles.
Search the forum for the TRACE keyword, you'll find many a document that explains how to do this.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post