Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report Caster - Passing Global Variable to Save Report As File Name

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report Caster - Passing Global Variable to Save Report As File Name
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm using WebFOCUS 7.1.7.

I have a global variable in my report query that holds the current date

-SET &TODAY = DATECVT &YYMD, 'I8YYMD', 'YYMD')

I would like to pass the value in &TODAY to the "Save Report As" box in Report Caster so that I can include it in the file name.

For example: FinalOutput_20071108.xls, where "20071108" comes from the &TODAY variable.

Is this possible?

Production - 7.6.4
Sandbox - 7.6.4

Posts: 241 | Location: Bethesda, MD | Registered: August 14, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Try the IBI Advanced Search option to find more information or do a search on the Forum.

I did research on this awhile ago and I think the answer at the time was no. But someone could have put in a New Feature Request.

It is a great idea.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this feasible, but if the file is not being distributed by email, you could create the file as normal and then use an OS command or an APP command to copy or rename the file to what you want.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have a report that is runs each day and saved...and then I have a fex that runs in Reportcaster that takes that and copies it with the day appended.

COPY \\velocity1\iscsc$\reports\myreport.pdf \\Corp\sahq_group\Common\myreport&MDYY...pdf

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, there you go then.

WarmBrownChocolate.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the reports have to be emailed. That is where I am stuck.

Production - 7.6.4
Sandbox - 7.6.4

Posts: 241 | Location: Bethesda, MD | Registered: August 14, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, that would be a problem. Frowner

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you e-mail them the Link?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
CWM,

If you updated your signature with the release info you gave above and your platform we might be able to advise on an alternative that would be available to that platform.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I have successfully ftp'd a dynamically created filename that contains the the current date & time portion as the filename. Granted my distribution method was ftp differs than email, but the concept would be the same.

goto http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/1096.2092.html
Ira

WF 5.3.6 AIX 533 WINDOWS XP (Development)
7.6.x (Test) Windows
5.3.x Production....

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Expert
posted Hide Post
as a feeble excuse for an idea,
you could in your style sheet
,TITLETEXT='My Title &YYMD' ,
or put any form of edited &var in as titletext so that at least the TAB on the excelsheet would have the proper date on it. That works in email.

I can only get emailed .xls to title themselves whatever the fex is named. so... somehow i think you've gotta copy the fex to something temporary with todays date in the fexname,
and somehow get that scheduled.
then nuke it.
Somebody smarter will come along figure out how to do that.
I have now *completely* forgotten what i logged on to look up...happens every time.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I might have a solution

You can create the report with a not printed first by field and use that byfield as the burst value

The mail address you use must be in a dynamic list.

The burst value will now be put in the attachment file name.

So in coding...

DEFINE FILE CAR
DUMMYBURST=&YYMD;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY
BY DUMMYBURST NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END

For the DYNAMIC address list

SET ASNAMES = ON
DEFINE FILE CAR
BURST_VALUE WITH COUNTRY=&YYMD;
EMAIL_ADDRESS WITH COUNTRY='myadress@company.com';
END
TABLE FILE filename
PRINT BURST_VALUE   AS 'VALUE'
      EMAIL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'ITALY';
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

or use a flat file with the mail addresses....

I hope this works, could not test it at home.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post