Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Can anyone point me to the documentation for an explaination of the ACX

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Can anyone point me to the documentation for an explaination of the ACX
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'll start digging but if someone else has found information on the ACX that gets generated with the master file I'd really appreciate them pointing me in the right direction...... My particular question deals with the KEYS in the ACX.....

SEGNAME=BU01TB06,
TABLENAME=DBAPROD.BU01TB06,
SERVER=DBAPROD,
KEYS=0
,$
as always thanks for the help.....

Posts: 132 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 12, 2003Report This Post
<Grzegorz>
posted
I do not remember where to find it in the IBI documentation (there is nothing about *.acx in "Describing Data with WebFOCUS Language"),
but this is the brief description of *ACX structure (without joins and other advanced stuff):

SEGNAME=to the appropriate (part of) *MAS file>
TABLENAME=if the *ACX points to RDBMS,
usually prefixed with the Owner Name, or Schema Name.
If the *ACX points to the iWay/EDA subserver
it is the name of the synonym on the subserver.>
SERVER=or the name of the configured iWay/EDA subserver.
In the new releases the SERVER keyword is usually
substituted by the CONNECTION keyword>
KEYS=record constitute the primary key of the record.
For instance:
0 - the table does not have any primary key
1 - the first column is the primary key
2 - Primary key consist of the first two columns
etc.>
,$
Hope this helps
Grzegorz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Your explaination prompts other questions....

Does the Key field need to be set ?

Does the Key field need to be set to match index fields in your Master File Description ?

Does the Key field need to be in-sync with your DB2 tables..... if you add keys to DB2 do you need to update the ACX...?

Thanks for the input ......

Posts: 132 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 12, 2003Report This Post
<Grzegorz>
posted
I think that KEYS=... in *ACX files does not matter too much for the reporting applications. The SQL which is generated from FOCUS to RDBMS
does not depend on this setting.
(I hope someone correct me, if I am wrong)

The KEYS=... is important for data maintenance applications (MODIFY, MAINTAIN),
where records are taken from a database and updated according to primary key specifications.

Regards
Grzegorz

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI...
You can manually code your masters and .ACX files to do your joins for you, in which case they keys do matter and will make a differnece in performance!

Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The setting of keys should match the fields you have set up as indexed fields in your database. If they don't match and you attempt something that uses the keys - for example a join or view (cluster join) - you could experience a performance degrade.

Also, if you use WebFOCUS Maintain, the keys are REQUIRED to be set up as Maintain uses the keys to locate records to be added/changed/deleted.

Happy New Year, hope this helps!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
More information about KEYS in ACX or AFD (Access File Description): Access Files in DB2

Regards,
Mikel

Posts: 173 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 09, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If the ACX file was automatically generated leave it alone. The KEYS=n field is necessary for optimization. In the next release it will be used to automatically switch a JOIN from ALL to Unique.