Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     The best things I learnt / did at Summit 2007

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
The best things I learnt / did at Summit 2007
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Several things come to mind,

Meeting virtual colleagues who are now no longer "virtual".

The new updated method of McGyver (Thanks Noreen and Art).

Integrating HTML with Maintain (Thanks Mark).

Once you have met someone, you read their posts with their accent in your head (knew that one anyway but such fun!).

Oh, and Mickey showed this place to my wife and I in the Bellagio -

Not exactly clear, but any guesses what it is?

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Have you got a photo of the lobby at the Bellagio?

That would be nice to see.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Definitly nice to meet the "people behind the curtain".

My top three things I learned from Vegas;

1. Water - and lots of it. Why they decided to put the place in the middle of a desert still boggles my mind.

2. disposable income

3. more water

Top WF things

1. WF Tracing - very sweet.

2. Commitment to a more robust GUI. Although I'm an old-timer FOCUS guy - it's really good to hear and see the future, but still know there's always another option.

3. XBRL, Silverlight, Office integration. New and bleeding edge stuff. Good to know a company can react, integrate, and rolll-out new technologies.

All in all - very cool - well worth the time. Just stay away from the 1/2 yard Long Island Ice Teas - ugh.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The best things about Summit 2007:

1) Meeting follow Focal Pointers as well as our host Kathleen.

2) WebFOCUS 7.6 New Features.

3) Developer Studio Presentation "You can do that in the GUI"

4) Hoover Dam Wink

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
M, your wish etc. etc.

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Thanks Tony.

For those of you who did not make it to the lobby at the Bellagio, the photo Tony posted is of the ceiling in the lobby. Those are glass blown flowers. Each flower is anywhere from 2 - 3 feet in diameter and the entire collection spans 40 -50 feet across the ceiling of the lobby. It is a beautiful display.

Any guesses as to what the other photo is that Tony posted?

Thanks!

Mickey

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I also very much enjoyed
1) Meeting the people behind the names I have been seeing for the past several months since I "discovered" the Focal Point forum. (Also some of the IBIers that I converse with regularly on the tech support line.)
2)Attending several pretty good tips and techniques sessions (Thanks Noreen and Art, Tony, Susannah, you too Francis - sorry I didn't get to meet you - Larry Braun and Joel Starkman.)
3) Seeing the new (and some of the old) Active Reports stuff. Boy is that going to solve some of my endless coding headaches!

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I've said it on more than one occassion.......you guys are so lucky. Sounds like I missed an awesome time.

Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Is that a picture of different varieties of liquid chocolate or is it Latte? Looks sort of like chocolate dripping from above.

Tony, thanks for all the tips you and Susannah gave us in your presentations. Summit was well worth the trip! It is very nice to meet the faces behind the names on Focal point. Makes it a little nicer to have that connection. Hats off to all the presenters at Summit! Great week!

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Posts: 67 | Location: Marceline, Missouri | Registered: August 09, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Your guess was spot on Jenny or close enough, it is indeed the world's largest chocolate fountain (allegedly) containing three blends of chocolate, light, medium and dark. I can not remember the exact volumes mentioned but the visible fall was about 14 feet (see link).

The best bit was all the chocolate that you could buy at the counter! What do you mean you didn't visit it? An opportunity wasted? Wink

Glad you enjoyed the PPT.

T

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What a treat to meet and get to know Fellow Focal Pointers and Kathleen. IBI Staff was great as usual. Lot's of good sessions. Definitely got our exercise walking to and fro in Ceasars to get to the next spot.

Number one thing I learned - When going to the Pool...I really don't need an $8 Miller Lite. Smiler

Hope to see you all next year...

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I learned a lot and enjoyed being there.

Here is my impression

summit 2007

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I love some of the new SET commands in the latest release of 7.6.x !

I also learned how to nap - since I was on call most of the nights, every night, twice a night!

I learned not to bring a laptop to the next Summit. :-)

Great job everyone!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hello to all FPers - I'm a new poster, although I've enjoyed MANY of your tips/tricks/code and I just wanted to thank Tony A., Susannah and FrankDutch for being so warm and friendly when I introduced myself...Tony, I'm the one from Kansas who thanked you for helping me feel like I've got help out there from so many experts, as well as regular developers, like myself, who stumble on a cool notion every one in a while, and get to share with everyone.

This was my third Summit and I enjoy them more every year and take back invaluable information and networking moments I wouldn't trade for anything.

Noreen, you are such a gem...thanks for talking at lunch and always delivering great solutions!

Shelli Osterle
American Identity
Overland Park, KS

PROD: WebFocus 7.6.9 on WinXP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Shelli,

I remember meeting you, glad you had a great time there. Like you I wouldn't trade any of the summit experiences, especially the "networking moments" (nice phrase Smiler).

T

Guru
posted Hide Post
Ahh man... this is like torture. I've wanted so badly to be there. And that was before I knew there was gonna be a mega-chocolate-fountain. I'm sure you've met my workmates there tho. The entire Siemens Orl webfocus admin group was there, so I was left here with all my nice little prod install packages going nowhere. Poor Alan had to field most of the focal point questions...

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
whoa... i'm a silver member. how did that happen?

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You hit 30 posts...and you moved up... Smiler

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
Several things come to mind,

Meeting virtual colleagues who are now no longer "virtual".

The new updated method of McGyver (Thanks Noreen and Art).

Integrating HTML with Maintain (Thanks Mark).

Once you have met someone, you read their posts with their accent in your head (knew that one anyway but such fun!).

Oh, and Mickey showed this place to my wife and I in the Bellagio -

Not exactly clear, but any guesses what it is?

T

WORLD's LARGEST Chocolate fountain....Smiler

I could lose myself in the Bellagio for hours!!!

WebFOCUS 8201M/Windows Platform

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I missed the largest Chocolate fountain... Guess I didn't explore the Bellagio enough!

My favorite thing about Summit was meeting people and finding out how many people are in similar situations... you quickly realize you're not alone!

Second on the list would be the weather, given it was 36'F (2'C) when I left home... I enjoyed the sun!

And I guess I did learn, if ever I'm going second through a fake brick wall on an ATV... I better a)use more speed or b) use smaller fake bricks!

Definately was a good time and looking forward to future conferences!

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.4 - Self Service - Windows Server2003 - Apache Tomcat 5.5
Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.4 - Self Service - Windows XP SP2 - Apache Tomcat 5.5

Posts: 96 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: January 22, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
Your guess was spot on Jenny or close enough, it is indeed the world's largest chocolate fountain (allegedly) containing three blends of chocolate, light, medium and dark. I can not remember the exact volumes mentioned but the visible fall was about 14 feet (see link).

The best bit was all the chocolate that you could buy at the counter! What do you mean you didn't visit it? An opportunity wasted? Wink

Glad you enjoyed the PPT.

T

Yeah, I did not know it was in the Belagio, nice you guys let us in on the secret. I cannot believe a woman missed/did not know a chance was there at seeing and enjoying a huge chocolate fountain like that. I won't miss it next time. What a waste, and just next door!!!

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Posts: 67 | Location: Marceline, Missouri | Registered: August 09, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I am thinking the best thing at Summit was meeting everyone that I have been asking for help from and realizing that I am not really that far behind everyone else, like I thought I was. You feel so stupid when you first start working in WebFocus and then you meet people that really make you feel knowledgable and not so stupid. I have a LONNNNNGGG way to go, but with everyone's help and expertise, I will get there. Focal Point is one the greatest fast access help paths for WebFocus! We cannot know it all, all the time. That is what every one of you all are out there for, resources at your fingertips. Thanks for all the help and future help from all of you!

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
My 3...

- Meeting some of you!
- Hearing about the different WF environments and strategies.
- And hearing that going from PDF to PowerPoint should be "relatively" seamless!

Great job Tony and Susannah!

Thanks!

WebFOCUS 7.1.4
WIN XP/SP2

Posts: 37 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, hard to say what the best things were -- I enjoyed meeting those that I did, although I didn't really get to network with many of you and would have liked to do that.

The tips session was pretty good and am already messing with one of the tips presented. I also enjoyed the coding standards session.

I didn't have any "earth shattering" sessions like I did last year (our first year), but I picked up several little things throughout. I was also very pleased by what I saw in the new advanced graph assistant as I think that will save us quite a bit of time of experimenting/hacking.

Good to meet those few that I did! Next time we need to have an official FP meet & greet!

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
<1-0-Ed>
posted
Hi there all,

Hopefully I too will come to a summit some time, prefferably starting with 2008 (in New York right?)

Anyway, my question here being; are any (or all) of the sessions viewable anywhere? (surely they are somehow taped?)

I'm very interested in some of the sessions I've seen come by in this (and other) toppic(s)...

Thanks!

regards,

Report This Post