Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] WHERE fieldname IN FILE filename;

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] WHERE fieldname IN FILE filename;
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I created hold files to hold values for future filtering. The hold files are created using the hierarchy so I could pull all values for a specific parent. I checked the hold files and the data is there and the formats match. In the same fex, when I query the transaction table and use the above syntax (subject line), I get zero records. At this point, I am only using one filter. There is data that would match. In file, should not have to use tics to enclose the value. Any suggestions or ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Kathy Phillips
Web FOCUS 8.2.05.14, 8.1.05, 8.08, 8.0.7, 8.0.5,8.0.2m, 7.6.10,7.7.03
Windows

Posts: 118 | Location: Livonia, MI | Registered: March 27, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Is the field you are matching the first one in the hold file? When you multiply the field length by the number of rows in the hold file, is it less than 16000 bytes for a test against a relational table?

Your syntax is correct. I use this technique a lot and have been very successful.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It is the only field in my hold and it currently has only one value. I tabled it to check it. When I table my transaction file with this filter, I get zero records. I am in 7.6.8 This is very frustrating.

Kathy Phillips
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you using "HOLD AS filename FORMAT ALPHA"?

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Kathy Phillips
Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
TABLE FILE TM1JOBS
PRINT JOBPARENT AS 'PARENT' NOPRINT
FOR JOBNAME
&JOB
WITH CHILDREN ALL
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDJOBS FORMAT ALPHA
END
I added the noprint after the parent since I only wanted one field in the hold file. I remove the noprint for debugging purposes.
TABLE FILE FCST
PRINT AMOUNT
BY BUSINESS_UNIT
BY SCENARIO
BY CURRENCY
BY SOURCE
BY JOB
BY DEPARTMENT
BY ACCOUNT
BY YEAR
-*WHERE JOB EQ (HOLDJOBS)
WHERE JOB IN FILE HOLDJOBS;

Kathy Phillips
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you do a ? HOLD HOLDJOBS followed by a -EXIT and post the results?

After than, can you ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY and do the first part again?

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
-exit
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 1 LINES= 1
0DEFINITION OF HOLD FILE: HOLDJOBS
0FIELDNAME ALIAS FORMAT
E01 A 50

I already have the set holdlist = printonly at the top of the fex.

Kathy Phillips
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Kathy, Keep in mind that the file produced will have leading blanks for children of the primary JOBNAME, this may be the cause.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If this works the same as in legacy Focus's
IF fieldname EQ (ddname)
then blanks are delimiters, so any value with imbedded blanks will essentially be truncated...

e.g.,
   "Widgets Department   "

would be treated as
   "Widgets              "

...which would lead to your symptoms.

Suggestion: use HOLD as the hold-file name; then the MFD controls parsing into fields.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Are you sure there is an equivalent job in FCST? Is JOB the same format? Have you tried a JOIN?

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, thank you everyone for your responses.
1. I issued a SET BLANKINDENT=OFF. that did not help.
2. I did notice in the ? hold holdjobs that the V is dropped when doing format alpha.
3. I issued a join both ways, hold file to transaction file and then the transaction file to the hold. On the second one, trans to hold file join, I did get a foc236 linked file does not have a matching key field or segment: job bypassing to end of command. Thus I feel the V is the problem. Because I have to join to a rather large transaction file that has V's, I'm committed to the V's.
4. The transaction file is an Oracle table.

Basically, I have six fields that are prompted for and I need to pull all the children and all the grandchildren for each of those six fields which is why I use the hierarchy and then hold the results to be used for future filtering when doing the last report using a hierarchy again. For debugging purposes I have used a value where only one row is returned. I use the last hierarchy as part of the actual report. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks again.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Oops, one more thing, I have also tried all the below lines separately....

IF JOB EQ (HOLDJOBS)
WHERE JOB EQ (HOLDJOBS);
IF JOB IN FILE HOLDJOBS
WHERE JOB IN FILE HOLDJOBS;

Kathy Phillips
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you using a master file description to access the Oracle table? If yes, you could regen the master with the setting

ENGINE SQLORA SET VARCHAR OFF

before recreating the master. That will get rid of all the V formats in the master. That command has proved to be a life saver.

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kathy,

Maybe it's an idea to post your master file(s) here (the tm1jobs andd the fcst). This may allow us to try and reproduce your situation and possibly come up with a solution. It would also help if you could post one or two records from the tables.
If you do post, please put it between the code tags (the red '< / >' button).

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ginny! My next test was to try that. Useful command will save me lots of time. Interesting it did not give me an error when I tried joining the hold file to the oracle table. I will try the command this afternoon and let you know.

Kathy Phillips
Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The problem is resolved. The fields in the mfd were changed from variable to fixed. Thank you everyone.

Kathy Phillips
Windows