Focal Point
[CLOSED] Remove blank lines from text field.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6727060326

August 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
Jonathan K.
[CLOSED] Remove blank lines from text field.
I am wondering if it is possible to remove blank lines from a text field. I have a report that has descriptions for tickets and some of those tickets are unnecessarily long due to multiple blank lines being add by the user.

This is an example of what it currently looks like.

This is the description field.

It has unnecessary blank lines.

Making for a longer report.

This is what I would like it to look like.

This is the description field.
It has unnecessary blank lines.
Making for a longer report.

I'm using EXL2K as the format of the report.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
August 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
rfbowley
Well, I am guessing on this one, but in my experience "extra lines" in a text field have often been just a case of the user hitting the key too often. This will leave extra CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) characters. If this indeed the case you should be able to use the POSIT function to locate the extras and then I would try using the CTRAN / STRIP functions to strip out the extra CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) characters by changing them to spaces.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001
August 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Jonathan K.
quote:
Originally posted by rfbowley:
Well, I am guessing on this one, but in my experience "extra lines" in a text field have often been just a case of the user hitting the key too often. This will leave extra CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) characters. If this indeed the case you should be able to use the POSIT function to locate the extras and then I would try using the CTRAN / STRIP functions to strip out the extra CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) characters by changing them to spaces.

Thanks, I'll look in to it.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs