Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report not displayed in new window
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report not displayed in new window
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, maybe I was not clear. Forget about drilldowns for a moment. What happens if you run a simple EXL2K report from the adhoc page. Does it open within this page, or does EXCEL open up outside of the browser in a 'normal' excel window.

Posts: 34 | Location: 2 Penn Plaza | Registered: July 29, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
its the 'normal excel window' that brings up a question, Ben. On my site, it seems to open in 'fake excel', not real excel. But on some of my users' machines, it opens in 'real excel'.
i have heard that there is a way to stabilize that. Is there?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Launches and brings up normal Excel.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
... making careful distinction between excel appearing in a separate window with a webbrowser tool bar heading, and excel appearing in a separate window with an excel heading, yes? both may appear to be the same, until you , for example, try to apply a filter or sort. Prarie, can you , eg, apply a filter directly to the window in your first-appearing 'normal excel'?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Bringing up 'Normal Excel' as opposed to the Excel Plugin, is a function of the user's workstation and how it is set to open up Excel. This is outside of the control of WebFOCUS, and you can test it by just placing a .xls file in a location accessible by your web server, and try to retrieve it.

On a Windows XP machine, select
'My Computer' > 'Tools' > 'Folder Options' > 'File Types'
Scroll down to 'XLS' then select 'Advanced'
There is a check box that says 'Browse in same window'
That will determine if the user's workstation will open up in 'Normal Excel' (selection unchecked) as opposed to the Browser Plugin (selection checked)

There will be a blank window if EXCEL opens up outside of the browser. I think this is one of the issues you are having. You will also have problems with Drilldowns for a number of reasons. If you are using Security on the server, cookie information is not passed from browser to Excel. You will also get an error message when drilling down that a file by the name of WFServlet is already open.

The best way I think of getting passed all these types of issues is to have Excel Open up within the browser. No blank windows, no problems with drilldowns.

Ben

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes Susannah...I can sort and filter.

Ben...I have done what you suggested many times...and that does not change the results...I still get the blank page and the
WFServlet is already open message. I have changed MIME files, I have changed these settings..I've had streaming sessions with IBI..and nothing seems to work.
Frowner

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
So, you changed EXCEL to open up within the browser? And, you have Redirection ON?

If so, that should work, as I definitely have that working here. If you are still running in to problems, I can stream in as well to take a look.

Master
posted Hide Post

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Texas...I'm hoping not to go thru all that...but will keep in mind.

Ben, under your settings what is
xht associated file type

Is it Excel or something else. Since I don't have that option...perhaps that has something to do with it. Maybe we can do a streaming session Monday...when My Admin person is here.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I actually don't have .xht associated with anything. .xht is a 'made up' file type that we associate somewhat with EXL2K. That might be getting in the way here. What we are trying to do, and I have this working here, is get excel files to open up within the browser. Remember, this is a setting for each workstation.