Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report not displayed in new window
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report not displayed in new window
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I want to display the drill down report in new window. The original report is in EXL2K format. I am trying to drill down from the EXL2K report. Drill down works fine but only problem is the drill down report is not getting opened in a new window. Any ideas? I specified TARGET=_BLANK. This works for HTML format of the report but not for EXL2K.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
There is no easy answer or solution that we have been able to come up with due to various issues. You could set Excel on each user's workstation to open in a new window. What this would accomplish is opening up multiple sheets within the same excel spreadsheet, but there are a couple of problems with this. When you drill down a new browser window is opened to run the request. Due to this, cookie information is lost so you are re-prompted for server credentials. If you can get past that, there are problems with Excel versions greater than 2000, in which a pop-up box will display indicating there is already a document of the same name opened. This problem was scheduled to be addressed in 53 version of WebFOCUS, but initial tests indicate that the problem still remains.
Ben Naphtali
Strategic Support Manager
Business Intelligence Products Group

Posts: 34 | Location: 2 Penn Plaza | Registered: July 29, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The browser default is to open a new window
when the SHIFT key is held down at the time
you click Submit. Try that.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is there another solution to this?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i use TARGET=NEW and it works...i get the pop up saying 'same name...' that ben mentions, but it opens anyway as servlet[1]
its ugly but it works, exl2k drilling to exl2k..
but pivots are better., imho,..clicking on a cell in a pivot brings up all the detail behind it..and you dont have to code anything...mr gates does it all for you.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
New issue with this. I have the Drill Down..and the new Excel Page...put it leaves up an HTML blank page...and the new Excel Page is behind it. I'm told the people using this...could never learn to look behind(??) the blank page to find the new one. Is there a way to make it go away?

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
There are new settings in 71 regarding Content_Disposition that might help. The intent was to be able to open multiple spreadsheets at a time, without getting the prompt that there is already an existing excel spreadsheet open. Can I see a sample that you would like to get working? Also, do you want EXCEL to open within the Same Browser window?
Ben

Expert
posted Hide Post
prarie,
i have exactly the same situation, and it will open that blank window on my pc , and yet NOT open that blank window on my customer's pc..
same version of xp.
I'm clueless what to do about it!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Below is code that does what I'm talking about.
You run the first part...fine...click on the drill down...you get a blank Html page...and you have to get rid of that before you can see the second excel...which is telling you there the WebServelet can't open with the same name...you click on OK and then you can see your second sheet. I'm told the end users...are going to be very "not computer people" and neither of these scenarios are acceptable. Any help would be appreciated...it will be several months before we upgrade to 7.1.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
PAGESIZE='Letter',

ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=ON,
FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
TARGET='_BLANK',
STYLE=NORMAL,
RIGHTGAP=0.125000,
$
TYPE=DATA,
COLUMN=N1,
FOCEXEC=WHY,
$
TYPE=TITLE,
BACKCOLOR='SILVER',
$

ENDSTYLE
END

Drill Down.
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS TWO FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
PAGESIZE='Letter',

ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT='Summary Report', $

ENDSTYLE
END

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the example. I should have asked you this before, but what are your redirection settings for EXL2K? I'm guessing it is set to NO for .xht, but I want to be sure.

From within MRE, I get this to work fine with redirection set to YES for .xht (EXL2K). With that setting, selecting the backbutton will will bring you back to the redirection string, and hence the report.b Not necesarilly what you are looking for. I'm guessing your redirection setting for .xht is set to NO however. Is that true? Even so with that setting the only difference for me was that I received a prompt indicating that WFServlet was already open.
Ben

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This will Not Be Running in MRE...it will be called from a WebPage from Self-Service....

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
OK, same thing for me with Self Service.
What are your redirection settings for .xht?
Also, what version of excel are you using?
Ben

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Excel 2003.
How do I check my redirections settings?

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Easiest way is to review the file of
[drive]\ibi\client53\wfc\etc\mime.wfs file.

Withein this file search for .xht and look at the column under redirect. Or, just cut and past that entire line, that should do it.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Found them...they are set to YES

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I can't make total sense out of this.

If REDIRECT is set to YES and CONTENT DISPOSITION is the default of NO.

Then when you run your first request, you should get the EXCEL report within your browser window. Subsequent drilldowns will open up within your browser as well, unless you've changed the 'browse in' check box for .xht formats.
If REDIRECT is set to YES, then

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well I don't even have .xht as an option to check Browse in.

Bottom line....I have a drill down Fex...and need to solve two problems. When I drill into the Excel sheet..it causes a blank html page...you have to look behind it to find another window saying "cannot open with the same name" you click on ok...and there is your new Excel sheet. Is there a way to eliminate both of these problems?

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I can't say, as I do not see the problem you are running in to.

In my mime.wfs file I have the settings I previously described for .xht. From the adhoc page I
EX drilla
EXCEL opens up within my browser with the report you supplied. If I then drilldown on one of the links, another report opens up in place of the first report. All within the same browser. I'm also using EXL2K with WebFOCUS 535.
Ben

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
well isn't that strange...something different somewhere.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree.
Can you open up a case with Customer Support, so that we can drill further, no pun intended, in to this problem, and they can contact me.
When opening up the case if you can supply your mime.wfs file for now, as well as the screenprint showing the few steps to see the problem.
Regards, Ben Naphtali

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have had a case opened on this...but have not gotten too far on it. IBI Case#20512059. I will be loading the MIME file in today.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
OK, I was able to see your mime.wfs file.
redirection is set to YES which is good.

If you run your first focexec, from the adhoc screen, http://machine/ibi_html
does EXCEL open up in its own window?

Ben

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This has still not been resolved.....surely someone out there has had this problem.

Bottom line....I have a drill down Fex...and need to solve two problems. When I drill into the Excel sheet..it causes a blank html page...you have to look behind it to find another window saying "cannot open with the same name" you click on ok...and there is your new Excel sheet. Is there a way to eliminate both of these problems?
Confused

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Wondering where you went....

If you have REDIRECTION set to YES for .xht and .xls within the mime.wfs file. And, you run your focexec from the adhoc page.
(http://machine/ibi_html)
Does EXCEL open up in a new window, or does it open up within the same adhoc page?
Ben

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I getThe page cannot be displayed error when i try to run this.

http://machine/ibi_html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prarie,

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Just need to replace 'machine' with the actual DNS name of you machine that hosts webfocus.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well duh to me...it had been a long day.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No it behaves the same way.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Can you clarify? Does EXCEL open up in a new window, or does it open up within the same adhoc page?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It pops up with a message saying "cannot open with the same name" you click on ok...and there is your new Excel sheet....Overlaying the first Sheet. I've tried changing the setting from open in new window..and no difference.