Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Getting variance at level break

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Getting variance at level break
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
HI, I have two files, a shipping file and a budget file.

The shipping file has company, division, and account along with various metrics including shipped quantity.

The budget file is has company, division and budget, no account information.

I am trying to calculate the variance at the division and company breaks based on the budget file (shipped QTY minus Budget QTY).

I join them by company and division.

The issue I am having is either the budget amount is overstated (duplicated by number of account in the division) or does not perform the calculation correctly (It seems grab the last shipped from the last account record rather than the sum of the shipped qty.

I used the following :
 COMPUTE SHIPPED_DIFF/I11 WITH DIVISION = (ACTUAL_SHIPPED + FROZEN_SHIPPED) - BUDGET; NOPRINT 

to calculate the variance and summed them using subfoot/subtotal/recompute/etc. ( I think I tried them all), still no bueno.

I tried 'SET SUMMARY=EXPLICIT', which did not give any better results. I tried to use the recomdations of similar issues on the forum, but I think because I am using a file, it does not function the same way as those issues did.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

PS. I know you need to see code...If comes down to that I will post something, but at the moment my is a mess, and secondly its pretty long because this is only a portion of the entire report and I'd have to simplify it so you wont need to look through a bunch of unrelated code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lloyd,

Lloyd Prendergast
Michael Kors (USA), Inc.
Phone: 201-453-5076
Fax: 646-354-4776
Lloyd.Prendergast@Michaelkors.com

WebFOCUS 523
WebFOCUS 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.7

Windows Server 2005
Windows Server 2008

Iseries V5R3M0
Iseries V5R5M0
Iseries V6R1M0

Posts: 157 | Location: Secaucus, NJ | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try:

sum
sum.q1
sum.q2
ave.budget
compute var = ( sum.q1 + sum.q2 ) - ave.budget ;
by company by division

sum q1 q2
by company by division by account

on company recompute subtotal

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Closing this topic, never really solved the this (IMHO), but I got around it by creating summaries for company and division and joined them.

Lloyd Prendergast
Michael Kors (USA), Inc.
Phone: 201-453-5076
Fax: 646-354-4776
Lloyd.Prendergast@Michaelkors.com

WebFOCUS 523
WebFOCUS 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.7

Windows Server 2005
Windows Server 2008

Iseries V5R3M0
Iseries V5R5M0
Iseries V6R1M0

Posts: 157 | Location: Secaucus, NJ | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JOIN to sumamry tables is a good solution... Smiler

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post