Focal Point
[CLOSED] Reusing HTML form with different graphs not working

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6747071586

January 10, 2017, 11:42 AM
zcbillions
[CLOSED] Reusing HTML form with different graphs not working
Hi all,

I'm trying to reuse the same working HTML form but having issues with some of the graphs showing up. I simply want to use the same charts and HTML form but with one different filter. I copied the HTML form and the charts to a different directory and re-referenced the 'new' charts from the new directory. Some charts are showing but some aren't.

So, I think I've kinda pin pointed the problem? But I don't know how to fix it.. The charts that aren't showing are referencing a 'main_chart'- meaning that I am reusing the same chart and passing parameters to the 'main_chart'. I have all the logic, a variable as the sum and variable as the by, and the where clauses in the 'main_chart' and setting the parameters in the charts. Also, the only report I have on the HTML isn't displaying. I've checked the settings tab, task/animations and properties and everything seems to be the same as the working HTML form.

Please let me know if you need any additional information or clarification or screen shots or anything!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 12:00 PM
Squatch
I would edit the text of the HTML form and search for the filenames of the charts, in order to confirm the correct path is being used to find them. I would not trust that re-referencing is working properly.

If you are using App Studio, you can open the HTML text by selecting both the HTML file and a fex file (Use Control key/Left mouse click to select more than one file). Then right-click on the fex file and open as text. Both the fex file and the HTML file should then open as text. You can then close the fex file and search the HTML text.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 12:02 PM
zcbillions
Thank you! Didn't know you could edit the HTML form as text. I'll give it a shot!

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 12:16 PM
zcbillions
uhhh, how do I edit the HTML form as text. lol sorry, newb here. Sweating

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 12:49 PM
Francis Mariani
quote:
If you are using App Studio, you can open the HTML text by selecting both the HTML file and a fex file (Use Control key/Left mouse click to select more than one file). Then right-click on the fex file and open as text. Both the fex file and the HTML file should then open as text. You can then close the fex file and search the HTML text.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
January 10, 2017, 12:53 PM
zcbillions
looks like I need to learn to read too.. Frowner

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 01:20 PM
Squatch

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 02:52 PM
zcbillions
lol nice one Squatch.

So question.. I copied the files and pasted them in a different directory. Then changed the name. The 'Name' is still the same in the properties panel. I add 'OC' to the new charts and it's not showing up in the properties panel. In the environments tree it's showing the 'OC' at the end of the fex name. Also, in the HTML code should it be using the display name in the environments tree, name, or title to call the fex?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 03:12 PM
zcbillions
Squatch, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Any other ideas?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 03:25 PM
Squatch
I hope you are not using App Studio to view file properties. For me, I get a blank slideout panel when I do that. I don't know why that has never worked for me.

I always go to the WebFOCUS portal page to view file properties. When you do that, you will get the full, correct path to your file. The portal page is something like:

http://your_server_name/ibi_apps

(Those are underscore characters, not spaces.)

Here is the full path to a fex file I created, as reported in the WebFOCUS portal:

Full Path:  IBFS:/WFC/Repository/BIDEV/Self_Service/Self_Service.fex

This fex is in the Content area of WebFOCUS. The folder "Self_Service" is actually displayed as "Self Service" in the WebFOCUS portal and App Studio. You want the "Full Path:" as reported by the WebFOCUS portal properties. That path will load and run the fex. That should match whatever is in your HTML form. Double-check that again using the WebFOCUS portal to get the fex properties.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Squatch,

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 03:30 PM
zcbillions
Thanks for the clarification as I was using App Studio. Man, what a weird product. Roll Eyes

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 03:33 PM
Squatch
quote:
Originally posted by zcbillions:
Thanks for the clarification as I was using App Studio. Man, what a weird product. Roll Eyes

Francis could tell you a thing or two about that subject... he'd probably make it to 10,000 posts today just discussing it.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
January 10, 2017, 03:50 PM
Francis Mariani
I've happily been App-Studio-free for 376 days...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
January 10, 2017, 04:21 PM
zcbillions
lol must be nice Francis

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 11, 2017, 11:27 AM
zcbillions
As I'm comparing the HTML form code, the only differences it looks like is that, the defaultinbindinglocation are different and the position the charts are named is different. Could this cause errors? I'm pretty baffled how a simple task could end up so complicating.. Frowner

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 11, 2017, 11:31 AM
zcbillions
Also, I've noticed that it's taking out 2 parameters for some reason when I re-reference the 'new' charts?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 30, 2017, 02:08 PM
Tamra
zcbillions,

What do you mean by "taking out 2 parameters for some reason when I re-reference the 'new' charts?"

In WebFOCUS 8 and higher IBI doesn't recommended editing the code within AppStudio if you would like to continue to use the GUI tool. Opening in the HTML in AppStudio may continue to work but with a cautionary message.

Ensure your all graphs/reports/html are in the PATH, found in the EDASPROF on the Reporting. Server.

What version of WebFOCUS 8 are you using? Can you update your profile with the specific version?

Thank your for participating in the Focal Point Forum,

Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5
January 30, 2017, 04:28 PM
Squatch
I don't think user zcbillions was editing anything. He was looking at the source code generated by App Studio. That is not the same thing as editing it (I probably should have used the term "view" instead of edit -- I meant edit without saving). I recommended that he make sure that the GUI tool was successfully recording the correct path and filename to his FEX file. In the XML code that is generated within the HTML file it looks something like this:

ibif_ex="/WFC/Repository/BIDEV/Self_Service/Self_Service.fex"

If he had discovered that the path and/or filename was incorrect, he would at least be in the position of not blaming himself for the problem. I have had several experiences with App Studio writing out incorrect or bogus information to an HTML file, such as not recording enough information about a component in the GUI tool that causes the component to not be selectable. The solution for me in that case was to edit the HTML file and remove the references to that component. That made the component disappear from the GUI tool. If I had not done that, I would have lost MANY hours of work.

And NO, I'm not calling tech support if I can work around a software bug. I don't have the time.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
January 31, 2017, 01:59 PM
Tamra
Thanks for the update Squatch. Sorry, if I misinterpreted your meaning.

I agree that is certainly a good idea to see the actual path that has been assigned by WebFOCUS HTML composer.

Just thought I'd provide a warning not to actually edit and save the HTML outside of the composer.

Have a good day...

Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5
February 14, 2017, 10:41 AM
LathaG
I see that the issue is marked Closed.
zcbillions, was the issue resolved?
If the issue was not resolved, please open a case.

Couple details I want to add to this post.
1) In the HTML Canvas, "Requests & Data Sources" panel, if you hover over the request, the tooltip displays the path of the file.

2) HTML Files are editable using the Windows Associated tool. I have mine associated with Notepad++ or you can use Francis's method Smiler

3) The warning display for when the modified file is opened in the canvas, tells you (and us) that the file was modified out of the GUI tool. It does not mean that it won't open or won't be supported. It makes it easier for us to know what to look for when we have to debug the modified files.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS 80, App Studio, Dev Studio