Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     HTML Composer designed page - How to debug problem in ibirls3.js?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
HTML Composer designed page - How to debug problem in ibirls3.js?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
How does one debug a web page that triggers this error?

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; BTRS129830; MS-RTC LM 8)
Timestamp: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 01:49:58 UTC

Line: 12853
Char: 8
Code: 0
URI: http://localhost:8080/ibi_html...i/html/js/ibirls3.js

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This supposed "Guided ad hoc" page has:

3 Calendar Controls;
1 Radio Button set;
1 Double List Box controlling the report dimensions;
1 Double List Box controlling the report measures;
7 List boxes for filters;
3 Double List boxes for filters;

I don't know where to start. You cannot disable all controls and then enable them one at a time until you trigger the error.

You cannot play around with the code because that is forbidden.

What to do?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This can be difficult, and I would, just to find the root cause, debug the js file by adding an alert({something}) near where the line number is.

All depends on what is null, and where it came from, did it come from the controls on the web page.

The line number is in the middle of code that checks the returned xml data from some call.

Did the call fail ?

I have seen nulls produced when non xml is returned to an xmlhttp object.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
[whisper]In the past I have added alerts in ibirls3.js, even though it's forbidden.[/whisper]

Good news! I added SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF in all the dynamic, embedded procedures and I don't get the error. I will now remove these one by one...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
[EXTRA LOUD]Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get the job done!![EXTRA LOUD]

I guess its standard debug time.....

Good Luck

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
So far so good...

Off to bed to recuperate for the day (real) job...

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Most Amusing, Gentlemen. But you are doing what needs to be done regardless. Cool

Since you are willing to delve deep into the IBI code as Indiana Jones - I'm sure you will resolve the issue. And when you grow weary of that please add a line of <script> www.jquery.xxx and become productive once again.

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I notice you're using IE8, which has a builtin debugger (F12). By default it doesn't trigger on errors, but you can uncheck the option that disables it (sigh...) in the Advanced Internet Settings.

Looking at that particular bit of code it probably only triggers in IE to begin with, if we are indeed looking at the same version of the file. Here the line you mentioned is in the method Ib_dataInfoObject.prototype.updateInfoData and the lines in question are:
12849		var xmlDoc = getXml(request, false, false, true);
12851		if (typeof (xmlDoc) == 'object' && xmlDoc2String(xmlDoc))
12852			return getSingleNode(xmlDoc, '//report');
12853		else if (xmlDoc.search('<fxf ') != -1)
12854		{
12855			var index = xmlDoc.search('<fxf ');
12856			var fxf = xmlDoc.substr(index, xmlDoc.length - index);

Apparently xmlDoc is a null-value and hence doesn't have a search()-method. That could be traced back to getXml failing to parse the received XML. In my experience that probably means that what's being returned isn't actually XML but an IBI error message.

I would appreciate if IBI wouldn't return an HTTP-200 status (OK) on errors in procedures, as that makes it unnecessarily difficult to check HTTP-responses for success or failure.
Your problem seems to indicate that IBI is struggling with that very same issue as well...

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You should open a case with Support Services so it can be fixed.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com