Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] How do you add a property column to Dev Studio Explorer?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] How do you add a property column to Dev Studio Explorer?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
The Dev Studio Explorer displays the Domain structure on the left side and the details (group folders and report files) on the right.

I would like to add the 'Last Modified By:' property that you get when you right-click on a file and look at the properties.

Is there anyway to modify the columns that are displayed?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As this is Developer Studio, I don't think that this is configurable, you will have to ask IBI for an NFR, I guess.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
it would HAVE to be a new feature request, as WF does not store anywhere who the "last modified by" user is without some code control management tools.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
a column for file-name(description) property would be nice too when it comes to list all the master files.

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have the last modified date in my Dev Studio Explorer window (7.6.8).

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis, Don was asking for Last Modified By.

This could be very difficult, as the files may reside on a multitude of platforms and OS's.

I suspect the information is available, but IBI did not think it important to show it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry!

Actually I don't think the information is available - the MRE programs just sit in a folder - Windows, for instance, does not keep track of the user that updated a file, and neither does MRE.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think the only way to get the info is to do an OS call, but that relies on the platform the files are on.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Master
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the 'created by', 'created on', 'last modified by', 'last modified on' are all properties that appear when I right-click a file and choose 'properties'.

This is what has always frustrated me about WebFOCUS. Things that would *seem* easy about the environment are not. It is apparent that MRE 'knows' about the file properties since it displays them on a 'properties' call in MRE. Why can't this information be easily displayed as columns in the MRE environment?

Sorry for the soapbox, this exact subject is one that has irritated me since literally my first project with the toolset.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't this information be easily displayed as columns in the MRE environment?
This be good subject on NFR, yes? You raise NFR I sure other people think like you and support you, no?

Kofi

Client Server 8.1.05: Apache; Tomcat;Windows Server 2012
Reporting Server 8.1.05; Oracle; MS SQL; Windows Server 2012

Guru
posted Hide Post
You're right ABT, the client should have some of the obvious windows client features. It's also frustrating to me that you can not copy the file name from the properties screen. But I know there are plenty of posts with that rant on it.

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You're all correct, how silly of me to not check before answering!

It's strange this is only available in the MRE area of Dev Studio - it's not available in the Server App folders of Dev Studio and it's not available in the web browser MRE Domains page.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think that we should also remember where the information is coming from.

Some may be local, some from a web server , and some from a WebFOCUS server. It depends on how the information is being retrieved , and what is available on a platform.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
I think that we should also remember where the information is coming from.

Some may be local, some from a web server , and some from a WebFOCUS server. It depends on how the information is being retrieved , and what is available on a platform.

With respect, as a 'consumer' of a product, I shouldn't have to care where it comes from, just that it be there. Why is there no RDBMS driving the system that provides this information? I assume it is dynamically gathering it upon request.

Of course I may have this all backwards, but it seems consistent with my experience so far.

- ABT

WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's strange this is only available in the MRE area of Dev Studio

Doesn't MRE need to track various bits of meta-data for each file in order to do the 'Managed' portion of the operation? The Server Apps area does not have access control associated with each folder/file so it doesn't get stored when a file is saved.

I agree with the general sentiment that DevStudio should behave more like a 'native' Windows application. I'm willing to guess that the history of the product has a lot to do with how it is currently configured. Didn't the Server Apps come first before MRE was added? If the meta-data isn't required for Server Apps then why spend the time and effort building it?

Just like all companies that build software I would guess that IBI puts forth the most effort on those things that will help them sell more product. That means adding more wiz-bang-wow features to the presentation layer. The back-end is always the last to get updated and that usually happens when changes to the presentation layer require it.

As much as I wish it were so today I do think that IBI is moving in the right direction. Consolidating MRE and ReportCaster into the same repository is a good start. Hopefully the security model in v8 will allow across-the-board access to meta-data.

Just my 3-cents worth. Smiler

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, what's strange is that it is available in the "MRE area of Dev Studio" BUT NOT in the "web browser MRE Domains page". Where is Dev Studio getting this info from that the Domains page cannot?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully the security model in v8

I wish I had a V8.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984