Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Pie chart: Show slice label, % value AND true value of slice

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Pie chart: Show slice label, % value AND true value of slice
 Login/Join

posted
Using WebfOCUS 7.1, is it possible, similar to Excel,
to show all of the following on a pie chart slice:
slice label, % value and true value of the slice.
I don't see that combination avaiable. Thanks for your help.
Jim

Jim Biwer
Cemstone
Mendota Heights, MN

Posts: 3 | Location: Mendota Heights, MN USA | Registered: October 04, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

In theory it should be possible as both Excel and WebFOCUS use the same basic graphing engine from 3D Graphics. However, I think that you will have to resort to Perspective for Java to achieve it.

When I get more time I'll see if I can locate the necessary code for you. But don't hold your breath!!

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Job for JG. Smiler

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
JG? Thanks.

Jim Biwer
Cemstone
Mendota Heights, MN

Posts: 3 | Location: Mendota Heights, MN USA | Registered: October 04, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sorry, he is a great Graph and Java forum member. He'll be able to help.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

As far as I can see, the closest the PfJ can give you at the moment (version with WF 5.3.2), without resorting to building your applet parameters, is slice labels with integer percentages in brackets -

GRAPH FILE GGSALES
SUM DOLLARS
BY ST
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ON
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setGraphType(55);
-* 0 = No labels, 1 = Show feeler lines and text, 2 = Labels only, no feeler lines, 3 = Labels on slices
setPieFeelerTextDisplay(1);
-* 0 = Absolute (true) value of slice, 1 = Percent value of slice, 2 = Series Label, 3 = Series Label and Percent value
setPieLabelDisplay(3);
ENDSTYLE
END

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
There is no option to have all three within the API.
The only way that you can do it is to generate your own label array and include it into the API code. (it means however that you cannot use the legend, unless you want the legend to display the % and values as well;

Make sure you use setPieLabelDisplay(2);

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
 COMPUTE PCTVAL/D5.2=PCT.DEALER_COST; NOPRINT
 COMPUTE GVALUES/A50='"' || COUNTRY || ' ' | FTOA(DEALER_COST, '(D7.0)', 'A9') 
         || '\n(' | FTOA(PCTVAL, '(D5.2)', 'A8') || '%)",';
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE SAVE
END
-RUN

GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM DEALER_COST
ACROSS COUNTRY
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH PIEMULTI
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHEDIT SERVER
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB OFF
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
ON GRAPH SET GRID ON
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setSeriesLabelArray(
-INCLUDE SAVE
);
setMarkerDisplay(true);
setConnectLineMarkers(false);
setConnectScatterMarkers(false);
setO1LabelDisplay(true);
setO1AxisSide(0);
setO1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setO1MajorGridStyle(0);
setO1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setAxisAssignment(0,0);
setY1LabelDisplay(true);
setY1AxisSide(0);
setY1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setY1MajorGridStyle(0);
setY1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setTextFormatPreset(getY1Label(),-1);
setTextFormatPattern(getY1Label(),"#.##");
setPieFeelerTextDisplay(1);
setPieLabelDisplay(2);
setTextFormatPreset(getPieSliceLabel(),2);
setRiserBorderMode(1);
setSeriesDefaultTransparentBorderColor(true);
setUseSeriesBorderDefaults(true);
setLegendDisplay(false);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY1Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY1Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getO1Title(),true);
setPlace(true);
ENDSTYLE
ON GRAPH SET STYLE *
     PAGESIZE='Letter',
     LEFTMARGIN=0.250000,
     RIGHTMARGIN=0.250000,
     TOPMARGIN=0.250000,
     BOTTOMMARGIN=0.250000,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=NORMAL,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
J.G.

Great implementation of an include. Didn't think of that method - one for the archive I think! Smiler

In FOCUS
since 1986

<JG>
posted
A good tip to remember when working with the graph API is to look at the generated code.

If you SET GRAPHEDIT ON instead of SERVER while developing, view source shows you what the API has generated.

Anything in the API generated part of the code can be overridden by what you put in the WebFocus GRAPHSTYLE part of the style sheet.
This includes labels, data, titles etc.

Using view source shows you the exact syntax that you need.

The most important item for text is the “\n” which forces a line break. This is great for labels and annotations.

JG

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
J.G.

I have been doing precisely that for many years and have usually a local copy of the perspective manual open on my laptop alongside me. I just never thought about using a save file in that manner. Just goes to show that when you think laterally you can leverage more out of WebFOCUS.

The '\n' for newline (and '\r' for carr. return) are very useful when you want to use alt attributes in an image or hyperlink. ALTs can be used instead of the Div via HTML method shown in "Add Pop-Ups" on the FOCUS on Developers topics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986

<JG>
posted
Tony,

The comments were general and hopefully helpful to those who have not been around quite as long as us.

I would suggest that Jim raise a NFR, as it is a perfectly logical requirement that should not need code manipulation. It should be a standard option.

JG

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

To submit a New Feature Request, please contact Information Builders' Customer Support Services and open a case. You can either call at 1-800-736-6130 (press 1 for WebFOCUS), or access the online system InfoResponse at http://techsupport.ibi.com . Please be ready to provide the information listed here: http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/before_you_call.jsp .

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Big Grin

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have submitted a NFR. Thanks to all.

Jim Biwer
Cemstone
Mendota Heights, MN

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi -
I was wondering if 'showing all of slice label, % value and true value of the Pie chart slice' is possible in any other way with WF7.
I don't still see that combination available.

Any ideas much appreciated, Thanks for the help!

-Kal.

----------------------------------
WFS - V7.6.8 Servlet on Win2k3 VM, Tomcat, ResourceAnalyzer;
DevStudio - R7.6.8, FlexEnable,VisDis; MRE/BID/self-service/Rcaster/ Office2k3;
DB-SQL2005;

Posts: 33 | Location: MN | Registered: May 17, 2005Report This Post