Focal Point
[SOLVED] Updating multiple tables through maintain

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6807017576

April 22, 2015, 03:34 AM
Nasar
[SOLVED] Updating multiple tables through maintain
Hi All,

We need to build a maintain application through which we need to update columns belonging to multiple tables, displayed together in one grid.
I do not want to create a separate master file containing just the relevant columns.

Any inputs, links or documents are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nasar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Windows
April 22, 2015, 05:57 AM
Alan B
This is straightforward to achieve with Stack manipulation, it is all there in the Training courses and in the Maintain documents, as long as you understand what you are trying to achieve.

Unless you can at least try to achieve this and share the code, I do not feel that I should help further. I will leave that up to Mark.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
April 22, 2015, 08:05 AM
Maintain Wizard
Nassar
I would love to get you to a training class, but I understand the difficulties. The issue isn't hard to do but requires some manipulation. The stack that populates the grid, since it is being populated from different masters, has to be entirely computed. So you would have:

MAINTAIN FILE File1 AND File2
For 10 Next File1.Field1 into Stk1
For 10 Next File2.FieldX1 into Stk2
Compute I/I3=1;
Repeat Stk1.Foccount
Compute Stk3(i).Field1 = Stk1(I).Field1
Compute Stk3(i).Field2 = Stk1(I).Field2
Compute Stk3(i).Field3 = Stk2(I).FieldX1
Compute Stk3(i).Field4 = Stk2(I).FieldX2
etc...
Compute i=i+1;
Endrepeat

This assumes that there is a logical relationship between the columns and rows of the different Masters. You would then reverse the process for your Update.

Mark
April 23, 2015, 07:33 AM
Nasar
Thanks Mark,

This was the solution that I was implementing.
However, my intention of asking this over here was to know if there was any way to avoid this manual 'stack manipulation' and try something like we have in report painter were we join two masters files and then print columns from both.

Windows
April 23, 2015, 07:40 AM
Maintain Wizard
We can only do this through stack manipulation. The other way is just to create a view to display all of the fields that you want. However, to Update the database you would still need to write back to the individual databases.

Mark