Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     IE8 [Not solved, but answered]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
IE8 [Not solved, but answered]
 Login/Join

Master
posted
It is my understanding that IE8 has been certified, is it going to work with 5.3?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PBrightwell,

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
don't know about 5.3
but don't bother to upgrade
it's only improvement is to allow you a 1=click open all links in a links folder, ala firefox.
ok that's nice
but what it also does is ALWAYS open a 2nd tab that is SEARCH, ala Google. Ok it has a nice image of some owls. but i don't want that second tab open.
Mama don't take my GoogleChrome awa-a-a-a-ay.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Call me a Chrome Dome too. Big Grin

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The problem I am encountering is that I have a set of users who are getting CGI errors on one report. At least one had upgraded to IE8 (and tried to back it off). When I searched I found that IE8 had not yet been certified and was known to cause this problem. It has been certified now, but my user(s) are still getting the error. I spoke with the manager after I posted this and he claims some of these users are still on IE7. I have IE7 and I can't recreate the error leading me to believe tha culprit is IE8.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Pat, it is my understanding that when some piece of software is "certified", it is certified to work with a particular version of WebFOCUS software. I don't think they'd bother to certify IE8 to work with WF5.3 and that release is on its way out...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Francis is correct it is very unlikely that IE8 is certified for 5.3.x

They did bring out a hotfix for IE7 support.

But as of Jan 2009 the below link is the official support.

Web Browser Support for WebFOCUS

The current Functional Stabilization date for 5.3.x December 2009

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,
It doesn't suprize me. We are going to 7.6+ and will start conversion next month. But it doesn't help the users who clicked one of those little links to update their IE browser and now can't restore IE7.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

<JG>
posted
Bad company policy.

Users should not be allowed to apply updates.

They should be rolled out as certified by corporate support.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We have a policy against unauthorized software. However, some users are administrators on their computer, so stopping it is another issue.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
JG,

Your link for the official web browseer support document shows that for releases 5.3.x IE 5.5 OR HIGHER is supported. For release 7.6.x it also specifies which browser versions are Certified. It might be wise to have the page updated to say which version are certified for a certain release level.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
GamP you are absolutely correct.

That's IBI. and also every other supplier that interacts with Microsoft.

Saying Or Higher is a very, very big mistake when you are interacting with Microsoft
you need to be more explict.

I think that almost all non Microsoft software suppliers have the same problem.

Microsoft is not renowned for backward compatibility.

Microsoft corporate policy is very simple, “Stuff you, buy the new version”.

IBI should more correctly say sub-release compatible.

However what is a sub-release y.x or y.x.z

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
PBrightwell,

Have you tried using IE8's Compatibility View Mode? My WebFOCUS stuff seems to work in IE8 but some other sites did not behave so well. I got tired of setting the Compatibility View on so many sites and just enabled it for all sites. Maybe this will solve the error your users are getting.

Here is a MS support article...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968499

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your excellent suggestion and I have passed it on to our help desk. Unfortunately, the user that was originally having the problem has already had his compute re-imaged.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

Guru
posted Hide Post
OK, I recant my earlier statement. It turns out that IE8 messes up some DevSudio functions and also causes strange script behavior in the dashboard. I went back to IE7 and a lot of the issues I was experiencing have cleared up.

Here is a link to another post regarding this... Auto-Launch Standalone Domain Tree

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Also found that IE8 does not correctly generate some scripts when using the composer.
only solution was to revert back to 7.

Report This Post