Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     entering and navigating dashboards

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
entering and navigating dashboards
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We've been using WebFOCUS 7.6 for just over a year. We've 6-8 dashboards in production, with several more on their way. Our customers have starting making comments like "it's cumbersome to move between dashboards", "there's too many key strokes" etc. I'm curious what others out there are doing.

Of the 6-8 dashboards, executives have access to all 8. Directors and managers to different subsets of 3 or 4 depending on their business area. The issue is that an executive logs onto one of the 8 dashboards, views whatever, then wants to go to another dashboard, Using VIEWS on the toolbar displays a list of ONLY the dashboards they have access to and they can then click on one and go directly there without a logon screen (we're working in 7.6.4 in test and attempting to get single sign on working). So it's a minimum of 2 clicks to get to another dashboard - which I personally don't this is bad, but executives really want to conserve those clicks.

What have someone you out there done to LINK mutiple dashboards together? I'm been thinking of setting up a MYVIEW for each of the executives. I just dread the maintenance when new dashboards are released. Each user's view would need to be edited. Has anyone done this, and what's your experience been?

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF

Posts: 78 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 07, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Laure,

Can you not achieve this via Domains rather than many separate instances of a BID?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We do have several domains, a few with multiple BIDS. As we understand it, the security is tied to the domain, and while the execs have access to everything, the others done't get all the domains.

Without another BID (or MYVIEW) I don't see how to make all BIDs available to execs and only select to the managers.

Perhaps we're missing something on how the security with domains works?

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
I need to understand what you consider "a dashboard" (the age old problem!).

The BID is the Business Intelligence Dashboard that is displayed when you login to the webpage rendered from the URL http://[your servername]/ibi_apps/bid_login? The view that is given to the end user allows then access to their permitted domains according to the local set-up.

What some people call a dashboard is a page containing many "reports" whether they be graphs or tabular reports from where an end user can discern a quick overview of business performance.

Do you mean the first or second type - or a different one?

You might be better off getting your local IB Proffessional Services to do a few hours with you to identify the best usage for your site.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Laure,

Try building a frame that contains all of the links in the users VIEWS. This way the links are right on the screen and only one click is necessary.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tony,
We are using the delivered BID. But your comment "the view that is given to the end user allows then access to their permitted domains according to the local set-up." makes me wonder if there is something we've not set up. This URL would take them directly to their MYVIEW BID, but if one is not established they see a blank BID. Our users are directed to a URL that is a LAUNCH page.... a list of serveral URLS to individual BIDs. Is there another way? Your comment makes me think there might be.

Fernando,
thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to consider it and the maintenance to maintain it.

Laure

Guru
posted Hide Post
Laure,

You said this earlier.

quote:
Using VIEWS on the toolbar displays a list of ONLY the dashboards they have access to and they can then click on one and go directly there without a logon screen

The Views on the tool calls javascript or a jsp. Either way you can call the same javascript/jsp from this new frame.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Guru
posted Hide Post
The way I look at it...

We have many groups that relate users to domains.
Each domain can be in many groups.

• Exec Group - all domains - only Executive Users
  • HR Manager Group - all HR Domains - only HR Manager
  • Payroll Group - Payroll Domain - payroll staff
  • Sales Manager Group - Sales Domain - Only Sales Managers

So yes, you may create one dashboard for each group, but the "group" dashboard has all of the contents applicable for those users so that don't have to navigate to other dashboards.

If you had one domain that contained generally available reports for all staff(consider them public reports), that domain could be included in each group.

I hope that helps a little.

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Not to mention ROLES ..... Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks KP, This is what I was expecting. Just researching alternatives.
Thanks for the reply.

Laure