Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Report Timing out

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Report Timing out
 Login/Join

posted
I'm working on a report that uses a long running sql server stored procedure. When I run the focus procedure the web page request seems to be timing out. I know the report works because if I hard code a record in the stored procedure the report runs fine. Is there a way to control the request timeout for reports in WebFocus?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Master
posted Hide Post
If you are in MRE, then use deferred execution.

Else schedule the report via report caster and use run once immediately option.

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This might be helpful: Change timeout settings for IE and IIS

But you might also consider Ram's suggestion to run the report either deferred or scheduled.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm using Managed Reports. I'm new to WebFocus. How do you run Manage Reports as deferred or scheduled?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebGuy,

Deferred:

In MRE, next to the "Run" icon, you will find the "Run Deferred" Icon.

Choose your report, click on the icon. Your report will be submitted for execution.

Next to the "Run Deferred" Icon, you will find the "Deferred Status" icon. Click on it. You will get a page showing the status of your report. When execution terminates, you will have the options to Delete, View or Save the output.

Scheduled:
Do you have "Report Caster"? If so, you can schedule you report to run at certain predefined times. Check the RC doc.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks deferred/scheduled is good info to know. However, when this reports goes into production it needs to be available to our clients immediately. Isn't there a setting I can adjust that determines when the report times out? I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with Microsoft IIS, but there's a setting on the web server that allows you to set the request timeout...I'm looking for something similiar in webFocus.

posted Hide Post
I had this problem about a year ago and as Dan Satchell mentioned, changing the timeout settings for Internet Explorer fixed it.

The usual percautions should be taking before dealing with REGEDIT to apply these changes:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Internet Settings]
Value Name: ReceiveTimeout
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: Time in milliseconds (default = 120,000)

Default seemed to be 60000 (1 minute) - changed to 180,000 - then reboot

Might also be:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Internet Settings]
Value Name: KeepAliveTimeout
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: Time in milliseconds (default = 120,000)

With that said, you might want to post your code on this forum. Since you are new to WF, you might benefit from having the more experienced WF users make suggestions on how to increase performance.

WebFocus 7.6.6, Windows

Posts: 17 | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
My question is: Is it timing out in the browser or the reporting server? If the former, how many rows are you trying to bring back? If the latter, what is your CPU time limit for an agent? I think the default is 300 seconds.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it's timing out on report server. Where do I adjust the CPU time limit?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is report time-out acceptable? How about trying to fix the report so it is more efficiently retrieving the data?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
when this reports goes into production it needs to be available to our clients immediately.

And if the report is taking so long that there is a time-out, regardless of whether it's in the reporting server or in returning the data to the browser, "immediately" is out of the question. Is someone really going to wait three minutes for a report to be returned to a browser? I would go with Francis' suggestion.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The report takes about 6 seconds to load. The older version of this report is already on production and is acceptable to the client.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
a long running sql server stored procedure

So is it long running or 6 seconds? Just trying to find out where the problem lies so we can suggest where to make a change. What's the difference between the older version and this version? How was it changed and why is the change affecting how long it takes to run? (Maybe a parameter is not being passed correctly so it's trying to process/retrieve EVERY record.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The report is being converted from classic asp to WebFocus but the newer version uses the same stored procedure as the older version. The older version displays a please wait message until the report loads. As I stated before, the newer version will run if I a hard-code the result set in the stored procedure so it can't have anything to do with a missing parameter.

Expert
posted Hide Post
How do you call the stored procedure? How did you create the WebFOCUS metadata for the stored procedure?

Have you read the documentation? Using the Adapter for Microsoft SQL Server

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post