Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to display One Lakh Records in any output option.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to display One Lakh Records in any output option.
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi All,

I want to display more than 1 Lakh records in Any format like Excel, HTML or Notepad etc.

Now i have a problem in excel because it can display only 60 Thousand Records in excel,

If i want display in HTML the internet explorer gets hanged up.

Now i don't know how many records can be displayed in Notepad. Can anybody tell me how many records can be displayed in Notepad.

Or

Can anybody tell me Output option which can display more than One Lakh Records.

Thanks..
Santhosh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.7 App Studio

Posts: 67 | Registered: September 26, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It is difficult to imagine a situation where displaying 100,000+ records would be useful. Is it possible to group the records in some way to produce a summary report? Then you could provide drill-down links to the detail records for each group.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
With HTML output you could try using SET WEBVIEWER=ON, which is supposed to send one page at a time to the browser window.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Satchell,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply,

User want the report containing in One go it self, So, Drill down approach fails.

And coming to HTML Output Option, i never this SET WEBVIEWER=ON . Let me try this option and reply back to you.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This link dicusses use of the WEBVIEWER for large result sets and also suggests that large result sets can be opened in Excel using a macro.

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/9331013922

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
For Excel, you can define a field that the program uses to break to a new worksheet in the workbook after every specified number of rows:

SET LINES=999999

DEFINE FILE GGORDER
CTR1/P6 WITH ORDER_NUMBER = IF CTR1 EQ 100 THEN 1 ELSE CTR1 + 1;
CTR2/P6 WITH ORDER_NUMBER = IF CTR1 LT 100 THEN CTR2 ELSE CTR2 + 1;
END

TABLE FILE GGORDER
PRINT
BY CTR2 NOPRINT
ON CTR2 PAGE-BREAK

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Nice EXL2K BYTOC feature in action!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dan on this one. If you're displaying that many records, you should be using a specific tool as well. Using any old tool is NOT the correct approach. The reason that the browser hangs is because of available memory. You'll have the same problem with Notepad. It's not the application's fault, but limited to available memory. The OLD versions of Excel had the 64K limit on file size. I believe that the Office 2000 or possibly 2003 versions gave you a limit around 2 million. IMHO, if you're wanting to "display" more than that you should be using a database, not a viewer.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
http://forums.informationbuild...=434109214#434109214

"In Excel 2007, the worksheet size is 16,384 columns by 1,048,576 rows, but the worksheet size of earlier versions of Excel is only 256 columns by 65,536 rows."

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
One question is What is being done with all this data ?, especially in HTML. I hope they are not cut and pasting into Excel.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
User want the report containing in One go it self, So, Drill down approach fails.

Not putting too fine a point on this but, your users don't understand the problems they are demanding and it should be you who explains to them why their request is flawed. Report design and development should be a two way effort - the users demands and the developers knowledge of how those demands would be handled by the equipment to be used.

As you have found out, HTML output is difficult because of the number of records. This will have different effects on different machines depending upon the actual memory they have installed and available. Many end user Windows based machines will have around 1 Gb of memory and will struggle badly with 100,000 records (for those that haven't Googled it, Lakh is the Indian term for 100,000).

As you say, Excel (pre 2007) will only handle 64K records, and Excel 2003 also has a memory limit of around 2Gb anyway.

To me the solution is clear, educate your users so that their demands take account of the equipment to which they are restricted. Also ensure that you know what their equipment can handle and guide them accordingly.

There are few things worse than a demanding end user whose demands outweigh their equipments abilities.

T

p.s. don't forget to take into account the width of the report as well. IE might handle 100,00 records of only 8 chars width but will struglle with 100,000 of 800 chars wide.

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Thanks to one and all for your valuable responses.

Actaully i have chosen FORMAR TAB. So, That report output can be saved in Notepad Format. And you can display more than 4 Lakh Records.

Thanks and Regards,
Santhosh Kumar V