Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE OPENED] Any way to make Dev Studio see procedures in a sub-directory?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE OPENED] Any way to make Dev Studio see procedures in a sub-directory?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I've been trying to organise our procedures a little and put some in a sub-directory of an app directory. The WebFOCUS server has no issue finding these procedures, but Dev Studio doesn't see them.

Rationale: Some of our procedures are library routines that get called from (or included in) our reporting procedures.
Since both reporting procedures and library procedures have the .fex extension, "virtual" directories can't make the distinction (plus, they seriously slow down the file-selection dialog as the code has to go through ALL the files there to list only the few that match the "virtual" filter).

Hence I created a directory "lib" in the app directory on the file-system and put those files there.

Now it doesn't bother me a great deal that I can't edit those files from within Dev Studio, but they are invisible in there and that kind of defeats the purpose of having a library of routines...

So, is there any way to make those files visible to Dev Studio?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wep5622,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Wep,
In 7705 server release there is option like "nested_app" in the reporting server under the "Application Settings" tab.

So maybe check "Application Settings" and set nested_app "Y" or "number" of the sub-directory level you would like to see.

Regards,

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You mean the client settings at /ibi_apps/?

I don't see that option, but we're on client 7703, server 7704M.
Still, good to know that I was looking in the wrong place; I expected to find that option in Dev Studio somewhere.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I hope you or some administrator can log into reporting server console. (8121 - standard port)
and then on after clicking on "Application Settings" the option should be available.

This is something you cant set from Dev Studio.
Maybe in the future.

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ah, found it!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make a difference, Dev Studio still doesn't see the sub-directories or the procedures inside those, even after restarting both the reporting server and dev studio.

Guru
posted Hide Post
What about mapping the server directory in Windows and tick the option "Show Desktop on Explorer Tree" in Dev Studio?

Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's a suggestion:

I have a folder called tinyeditor in app folder baseapp. It is not shown as a folder in Dev Studio Explorer.

I added this to edasprof.prf:

APP MAP tinyeditor C:\ibi\apps\baseapp\tinyeditor

Now tinyeditor is an app folder in Dev Studio Explorer, alphabetically listed, meaning it is nowhere near baseapp, but now I can access the files within.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
we do exactly what Francis does

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Wep,

In WF 77 you need to put the following into the clients custom settings for Dev Studio to respect Nested Apps.

# following allows nested applications in Developer Studio
 IBFS_enabled=yes 

As well you need to make sure that the Nested Apps is set to Y on the Reporting Server. There is also a setting to limit the amount of sub folders a user can create.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Here's a suggestion:

I have a folder called tinyeditor in app folder baseapp. It is not shown as a folder in Dev Studio Explorer.

I added this to edasprof.prf:

APP MAP tinyeditor C:\ibi\apps\baseapp\tinyeditor

Now tinyeditor is an app folder in Dev Studio Explorer, alphabetically listed, meaning it is nowhere near baseapp, but now I can access the files within.

That's another angle to try, although I think I would instead issue:
APP MAP baseapp_tinyeditor C:\ibi\apps\baseapp\tinyeditor

That way the sub-directory should end up near its parent.

Then again, why am I even attempting to get this working? I could just omit using Dev Studio altogether!
The only thing it does for me is provide a nicer view of the master file contents (and that functionality doesn't even work with the current version!) and filter out irrelevant files in the listing of the directory I work with, which is only necessary because of that virtual directory rubbish - if they'd just been properly organised in directories I wouldn't be having that problem and the listings would be faster too (fewer files, after all).
The text-editor is rubbish (well, it is when you're used to Vim), html composer can't create the launch-pages we require (so we use our own hand-coded libraries) and the last time I used the report editor was to figure out the correct syntax for some datetime-format a couple of months ago (and I am a full-time report developer).
Oh, we also use it to deploy projects, but since it won't tell beforehand which files it will be updating, that's not without risk and I'd rather be using our source control system instead (need a bit more leverage for that with my colleagues).

Slightly tongue-in-cheek rant aside, thanks for the suggestion Wink

Master
posted Hide Post
Wep,

Have you tried the configuration I have suggested? In 7703, nested apps was an add in to an existing framework and needs the configuration updated for Developer Studio to Recognize it. In WF8, I no longer need to set a specific configuration for this as it seems to be built in. I understand that this is an aggravation for you, but it is actually much simpler then your tongue in cheek rant makes it seem (I have it working in 7703, its not broken in Dev Studio).

If you are still confused, please reference Tech Memo 4697 released in December 2010 for version 7702. http://documentation.informati...f_wf_7702/TM4697.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eric.woerle,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes Eric, we have all that and it just doesn't work.

I can see the sub-directories when I go the WebFOCUS Environments / Data Servers / EDASERVE route. I hadn't thought of checking that section of Dev Studio yet.

However, I can't see them from within the Projects area that we normally use.