Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How to get the Self Service & MRE Statistics

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How to get the Self Service & MRE Statistics
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello,

we have few self service applications and MRE, need to collect the statistics for it. How can get the statistics without the WF Resource Analyzer or Governer. Any idea will highly appericated.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

Posts: 103 | Registered: September 08, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's what we do:
in the top of every fex, and in the OTHER section of every reporting object in MRE,
specify the fexname, the user id (if you pass it via IWA in your self serve), and whatever else you can standardize across all your fexes,
-SET &FEXNAME = 'myfex01';
-DEFAULT &USERNAME = 'DEFAULT';
-SET &MYDOMAIN = 'somevalue';
and -INCLUDE a fex that will take these standard parms and update a focus database with them, including time of day, and a random number (important if you don't have a unique userid and you do have the possibility of simultaneous executions of the same fex)

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Susannah for quick response.

I can set it up the the FexName and UserName and domain in all reports -include for updating to focus database but here two questions
Can I use XFOCUS since it can hold up the data more tha 2gb
How can add the code in MRE reports like user created new reports and even some of the reports it is simply drag and drop the from the application(project) to MRE in the domain.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
in mRE in a reporting object, in the OTHER section where you do your USE statements, stick it all in there.
you can use xfocus, but unless you have a zillion hyperactive users, you probably wont hit 2gig.
you're only making one record entry for every fexecution,
i suggest making your transaction capture database a today-only database, and each night merge it into some datawarehouse...and start each day with an empty file. Easier, safer, quicker, etc.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Please keep in mind that if you use a FOCUS Databases that are kept around after a webfocus request is finished or if you use XFOCUS you need to have the license of that Database, also if you use MODIFY or MAINTAIN these are also licensed products. Another option would be to use a WebFOCUS Exit that is called in the site.wfs file that performs a JDBC insert into a Database.

Scott

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your suggestions !

I will use focus only. you right sussannh about daily transaction to capture easy maintain and no license issue. If user creates own report then they will not able to add the code. so can't monitor for it since some of they use the metadata(mas) not the reporting objects.
Also want to explore JDBC insert to database option using site.wfs, any detail about it or can I find in the knowledgebase about this.

Thanks again for your great inputs.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

Master
posted Hide Post
THe WebFOCUS Security Administration Manual talks about the use of the WebFOCUS Exit.

Hope this gives you a start.

Scott

<JJI>
posted
Viral,

Why not writing your own log file and report from your logs? We do it all the time. You can pass the necessary params in the site.wfs and the you can automaticly run a simple fex, to insert info in your DB, everytime you run a report to log the info you need. To do that you can simply add a -INCLUDE Fexname in your site profile (then general tab in the administration console or directly in the CGIvars.wfs file. This way you log wahtever info that you want? userid, timestamp , fexname, foldername, domainname, etc......

Hope this helps,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah

quote:
-SET &FEXNAME = 'myfex01';

did you ever use the system fexname varibale &FOCFEXNAME, you do not have to set it...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of you and suggestion.

I tried to use the -Include Fex in the cgivar.wfs under client71\etc folder. Able to insert the userid, fex (FOCFOCEXEC), reportime whenever report get started. It works fine it inserts the record in oracle database using sqlpass command on include fex. It records also for mre and reportcaster.
Still have one more question How can get the data for the finished(having the starttime how about the report finish) can have one more insert or update to oracle database for the report executed. So I can get report statistics and also monitor it.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

<JJI>
posted
Viral,

What about another -INCLUDE at the end of each report that inserts the timestamp that indicate the end of the procedure (fex). Make sure that you do a -RUN just before the -INCLUDE.

Hope this helps,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
frank, actually the -SET &FEXNAME is part of my documentation procedure, as it is the first and identifying line of every fex, as well as the first drilldown for recursive drills
-SET &DD0 = &FEXNAME ;
-SET &DD1 = someotherfexname ;
Plus when i try -TYPE &FOCFEXNAME from MRE in 716, i get ADHOCRQ as the fexname, How do you get around that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah

the name "adhocrq" is the name you see when running form within the devstudio, but once the fex is made available in the dashboard it will show the name it has in real live (but only the 8 characters and not the displayed name)

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestions.

Is kind of working but not accurate. I have -Include at end of report and pass &UpdateFlg=1 and check for this &UpdateFlg in my logging fex and then update same row using the reportid as a my unique id.
Set up on site.wfs REPORTID=&IBIF_ex
REPORTID(pass) and on my logging fex concate the reportid with random number generation.
It all works but when same report runs from the reportcaster IBIF_ex is not giving the fex name so reportid will be looks like "null234".
Also trying to setup the MRE userid, domain and fex all comes null when the report runs from the MRE. Using the following setup in site.wfs
MREID=&IBIMR_user
MREID(pass)
MREDOM=&IBIMR_domain
MREDOM(pass)
MREREP=&IBIMR_fex
MREREP(pass)
Anybody have idea about this and report caster job not have IBIF_ex?

Thanks again for all your great inputs.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
Check the syntax of the code to pass variables in site.wfs.

I think this is how you code it:

WFUSER=&IBIC_user
<SET> WFUSER = &WFUSER (pass)

or

<SET> IBIC_user = &IBIC_user (pass)

I think I would be using &FOCFOCEXEC in ReportCaster, though I think I've sometimes seen a '_' prepended to the focexec name when using &FOCFOCEXEC.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Viral,
I think this has to do with the fact that report caster doen't use the site.wfs with the default configuration. I think I found some doc's on this.

http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...urity52/06sec528.htm

I know it's for documentation for a WF52 version but perhaps it also works in 7.1.1

Hope this helps.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis suggestions and Dirk let me go through the document.
I will try it out your suggetions and let you know the results.

Thanks once again.
Viral.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

FYI, There are two variables that contain the FOCEXEC name:

-TYPE &FOCFOCEXEC

-TYPE &FOCFEXNAME

The &FOCFEXNAME does not have the leading "_". Notice above in the thread that Susannah uses &FOCFEXNAME.

In regards to Report Caster, it is true that it does not use the SITE.WFS file. The SITE.WFS file is a configuration file for the WF Client piece. Report Caster talks directly to the WF Server piece, therefore the WF Client is not involved in the processing of Report Caster jobs.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post