Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Compound Report, PowerPoint, crashes agent. Is there a secret to doing this?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Compound Report, PowerPoint, crashes agent. Is there a secret to doing this?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'll pay handsomely.

I'm looking to create a compound report in PPTX format. This has run in pdf for quite awhile, end user is asking for a change.

So I have a top calling routine that looks more or less like this --

-SET &WFFMT='PPTX';
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT &WFFMT
UNITS=IN, $
SECTION=section1, PAGESIZE=Letter,  $

PAGELAYOUT=2, NAME='Page layout 2', text='Page layout 2', BOTTOMMARGIN=0.1, TOPMARGIN=0.1, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.0,TOPMARGIN=0.0,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
  COMPONENT='report2', TEXT='report2', POSITION=(0.1 0.00), JUSTIFY=CENTER, DIMENSION=(8.5 11.000), $
END

SET COMPONENT='report2'
-INCLUDE page_2_call_center_dailies.fex

COMPOUND END

There's multiple reports in the same concept. In each Included unit I end a single report with

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT &WFFMT

This is inherited code, so this may be ancient source code that is no longer the hotness.

Is there a secret word I need to say somewhere to get this to work in Power Point format? It works fine in pdf and xlsx.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but I think that PPTX have its own characteristics / exclusions / specifications /options regarding formatting.

Probably you should built one sample from scratch and compare to see the differences...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
They all run correctly when they're not compounded. It's the combining of the three that's introducing the crash.

In fact, commenting out all but one of them in the compound routine still results in a crash.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I found this : Compound that state the PPT is supported but nothing about PPTX

Also this (it's old doc but may still be actual) : Creating Compound that state that for Power Point it has to be SVG, GIF or JPEG

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That second piece may be the smoking gun.

No wait -- that's for graphs. These are all table reports.

That page is a bit confusing. It seems to say that each report should be saved as a pdf, which . . . presumably only applies to a pdf compound report, right? Not a PPTX? Not very clear.

Expert
posted Hide Post
What version of WF are you using ?

Perhaps PPTX is not properly supported in compound reports yet.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post

Expert
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't be able to replicate with one of the sample files ?

Interested to test, but can't spend too much time on it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm billing a customer and have about a dozen items in the queue. So I can't spend too much time on this. I thought someone might be able to send me an example from existing code that I could steal, or at least could tell me that it is possible to do.

I'll figure something out. If someone has a working example I'd love to see it.

I may just buy them a pdf editor and be done with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jeeze.

ON TABLE HOLD AS CALL_CENTER_TABLE_PREP FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN
(FOC3395) Paneling is not supported in a compound report component.

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=       24  LINES=     24
(FOC3296) Error found in Coordinated Compound Report: At Component report1
Compound Report is TERMINATING.....

So somehow the compound report is thinking that an interim hold file needs to be paneled.

I need to figure out how to convince the compiler to do its job properly. My favorite part of programming.

Update -- so I've jittered things around and now I can get it to appear in the compound PowerPoint. I think it may have been based on the final report being too big, not the hold file. But I can't be sure. It's fixed.

Now I'm stuck with two lines not appearing on the first page of the compound, in spite of more than enough space available. It runs on its own and prints to one page just fine. In the compound those two lines just insist on being on a second page.

I remove the big heading lines to make space, the last two lines still go onto the second page. It appears that the inclusion in the compound report just insists on making the output window small enough that those last two lines won't fit. I change the entire report to font size 3 and it works! Great! Font size 8 and it just shrinks the space to make sure it won't fit.

Hours burned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you played with the margins ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've adjusted the margins about a thousand times at this point. The fex on its own sets everything up beautifully. So the fex is sound. I've adjusted the values in the parent fex (the compound fex) six ways to Sunday and it does move things, but I can't get it to reach the bottom of the page to save my life.

This should be a simple adjustment. It is for pdf.