Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Dev Studio 7610 Editor

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Dev Studio 7610 Editor
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hello folks,

I've been searching for a solution to this but haven't been able to find one so far.

After upgrading from DS 769 to 7610 I found an annoying "feature" with the code editor: regardless of where I am in the code, as soon as I save the contents of my procedure the cursor moves automatically to line 1. This would not be an issue if the code could fit in one single screenshot but that is rarely the case and browsing down again trying to find the line where I was originally is rather bothersome particularly with long procedures.

Are any of you aware of some setting in Dev.Studio that could be tweaked to change that behaviour?

I tried searching in "Window -> Options" and "View -> Options" but I couldn't see anything related to this.

Previous versions of Dev.Studio (534 and 769) did not behave like this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may share!

- Neftali.

PS: I installed DS 7610 Hotfix 2 to be up-to-date but the "feature" is still there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
You may have to put in a case with IBI for this one.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Thanks Waz. I'll talk to my client to see if they wish to create the case with IBI.

In the meantime I'll try to survive with this new behaviour but thinking about productivity and how impatient I become with these annoying "features" I think I'll go back to 769 unless IBI comes up with a quick Hotfix that makes the behaviour consistent with previous versions! Hey, everything it's possible! Music

Thanks again,
- Neftali.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
annoying "features" I think I'll go back to 769

Welcome to my world!! I still return to 7.1.6 for just this reason!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I noticed this undocumented feature quite quickly after upgrading. However thankfully they did fix my previous "quick close" feature. Also a big thanks to them for listening and dropping the forced fully qualified names. That was reason one for me to upgrade to 10.

BTW, I do have a case entered for this problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trob,

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Posts: 86 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: May 10, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wonder why they thought anyone would want this "Return to line one" feature?

Glad to hear about dropping the qualified name feature.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

a big thanks to them for listening and dropping the forced fully qualified names

You're right! I think I remember seeing that behaviour when I was playing a bit with the GUI in DS 769 and it would not go away even if you changed your settings but since I use mostly the editor for my coding that did not really affect me. On the other side of course, for developers who use the GUI almost exclusively this new issue with the editor would not be a big deal either.

I hope I won't be shooting myself in the foot by saying this but I think that setting the editor to work as it always has before (why did they change it, anyway?) should be less difficult than trying to implement some other features in the GUI such as, for example, supporting comments when they live inside of a TABLE FILE ... END block, so hopefully I'll see that fix soon (preferably before WF 8.0 comes to light Wink )

- Neftali.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
so hopefully I'll see that fix soon

Remember to breathe whilst you're waiting Wink

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
trob - Please update this post when you hear back from IBI on your case.

Who ever was testing 7-6-10, must have been working with a "TABLE FILE CAR" sample that was not longer than a single-screen length of code.

We are having to upgrade for other reasons and this go-back-to-the-top "enhancement" is very annoying to put it mildly. Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BlueZone,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Simple solution....

Use an External Text Editor

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would but I'm rather lazy to configure them to support FOCUS syntax highlighting Roll Eyes

I did it once a couple of years ago with Notepad++ but after an upgrade the syntax file just disappeared and I was so mad I refused to repeat that configuration all over again.

Are you aware of a good FREE editor out there that supports FOCUS syntax highlighting out of the box?

On the other side, I don't know if I can really integrate an external text editor into DevStudio ... I tried before and the best I saw DevStudio doing was just invoking the editor but the procedure content had to manually be copied/pasted from and to the editor ... and that seems as annoying and less productive than trying to go back to a specific line, unless of course there is a better method I don't know of.

Anyway, I'll get a hold of an oxygen tank just in case.

quote:
Remember to breath whilst you're waiting

Thanks for the ideas!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Although its not free, I use EditPlus, it gives you 30 days trial, and its only US 35$.

On the EditPlus site there is Syntax definitions I uploaded in 1999, FOCUS.ZIP.

I should update it.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Waz! I'll take a look at it.

Expert
posted Hide Post
EditPlus is my favourite Windows program. I have created updated syntax and auto-completion files. The updates are a little haphazard - I haven't added every new syntax or function, but I'm happy with them.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis, I'm interested.

If I show you mine, will you show me yours ? Music

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kids, take this to another forum! Wink

Expert
posted Hide Post
About those editors: I like the fact that IB finally added some shortcuts such as F5, cntl+S, cntl+m, and cntl+r. Now for a cntl+G (to Goto a specified line number / return from the line you were on in 7610 before the save). What about being able to PRINT WITH LINE NUMBERS? Breathing whilst waiting.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kids, take this to another forum!

Kids, thanks, its nice to be thought of as young.

quote:
PRINT WITH LINE NUMBERS

Thats one of the many reasons for using an external editor.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Case: 60272517
Summary: UC:76x->7610:Text editor, SAVE returns cursor to line 1

The issue reported in this Information Builders
case has been fixed in the next culmative release of Developer Studio, 7611,
and higher.

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Posts: 86 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: May 10, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yay! I can't wait to get my hands on that release as soon as it becomes available. Of course I am a bit nervous as to what other "surprises" I might encounter there but I guess some faith ought to do it for now !

Thanks for the great news trob!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Developer Studio 7.6.11 is finally here! I just installed it and confirmed that the issue I had been whining about is now fixed.

Now I have to be prepare to face any new "features" introduced by this release Music

Neftali.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have been advised by Information Builders to ensure I work with the same versions of WF Dev Studio and WF Server. None of the clients I work with are enthusiastically upgrading their WF Servers every few weeks, so why would I upgrade my Dev Studio?

We're going 7.6.8 this coming weekend...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You have a very valid point there Francis but my reasons for upgrading are a bit different. As the WF Server I use at my current site is still 5.3.4, I have no real attachments to its corresponding version of Dev. Studio.

This may sound like a very silly reason for an upgrade but what made me use Dev.Studio 7.6 initially was the ability to easily comment out pieces of code while in the editor Smiler but of course I am more interested of having the choice to try new reporting server features out as they become available with each release ... not that I have that much idle time to play anyway Frowner but at least, time permitting, I can explore a little using the local WF server that comes with Dev.Studio.

I don't use any of the Wizard/Assistants in Dev.Studio anyway so the fact that version 7.6 cannot parse 5.3.4 masterfiles does not really impact my job.