Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Problem with filedef

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Problem with filedef
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi all iam appending the data from 12 hold files into one hold file by using FILDEF...(APPEND
here i am getting the problem is the data is changing for some of the rows is there any workaround for this please let me know.

FILEDEF HOLD1 DISK HOLD1
-RUN
TABLE FILE XXXX
PRINT
ASDFF
SDFGH
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD1 FORMAT ALPHA
END
FILEDEF HOLD1 DISK HOLD1 (APPEND
-RUN
TABLE FILE QQQQ
PRINT
ASDF
SDFG
END
FILDEF................

Thanks,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
------------------------------------
WebFOCUS 7.1.4, Win XP SP2,
Oracle8i.

Posts: 155 | Location: Bangalore. | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Be sure to have -RUN after a FILEDEF

FILEDEF HOLD1 DISK HOLD1
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'ITALY'
END
-RUN

FILEDEF HOLD1 DISK HOLD1 (APPEND
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY NE 'ITALY'
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD1
PRINT *
END
-RUN

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,
Thanks for your reply.i hope you didn't check muy code just see the above one i used -RUN after every FILEDEF Statement.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
Oracle8i.

Posts: 155 | Location: Bangalore. | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kalyan

Could you put a ?FF HOLD1 between each request to check that there are no format differences in the output files.

Also perhaps run a TABLE FILE HOLD1 between each request to check where teh problem you encounter is happening.

Try placing the HOLD1 file in a place that you can view the output in a text editor, again check between every step.

I have used this for many different applications and have never had an issue.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
HI ALAN,
i checked the same what you said inur post for only the first and seconf hold files the values are changing remaining all are ok
is there any set command i need to give.
Thanks,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
Oracle8i.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have said "Put a -RUN after every END statement AND every FILEDEF statement". It is very possible that, since there is no -RUN statement after the first END statement, the second FILEDEF messes up the first FILEDEF.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,
i will try with your suggestion. thanks for your post.
Thanks,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
Oracle8i.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kalyan

There are no SET commands to help, because an APPEND should only add to the file. It cannot change values already there.

Please can you show a limited output of what happens after the first and after the second holds, e.g. the 2 HOLD1 files, and where the file has changed.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all
I am no expert but what about using the MORE command to append the database.
From what i see here you data elements are all the same.

TABLE FILE XXXX
PRINT
ASDFF
SDFGH
MORE
FILE QQQQ
MORE
FILE AAAA
MORE
FILE BBBB
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD1
PRINT
ASDFF
SDFGH
END

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.13, 7.6
Test: DevStudio 7.1, 7.6 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2 - Apache Tomcat 5.0.28
Output: HTML, Excel 2000 and PDF