Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     MRE authetication using windows user and password

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
MRE authetication using windows user and password
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

I am new in WEBFOCUS developemnt and I have just installed webfocus and I would like when the user try to access MRE, the authentication will be done with the current windows user and password.

Thanks in advance

WebFocus 7.6.5
AND WebLogic server as web server
sql2005 as database server

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Might want to start here.

http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde.../wf76sec/wf76sec.pdf

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Prarie,

This was helpfull.

Thanks a lot

Majid

WebFocus 7.6.5

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Majid, Do you get you authentication working using the Windows user and password? I am also trying to do that, but I have not been able to get the Windows user name to come through when I use the function GETUSER. The name "SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR" is always returned by GETUSER. I have enabled "Trusted" authentication as documented on pages 91 and 140-150 in the Security and Administration manual. What am I missing?
Kent

Windows2003 Server, WebFOCUS 7.7.02 Developers Studio and MRE

Posts: 63 | Location: Ft. Wayne, IN | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Kento,

I just read that URL and I had the feeling that what I was looking for since it contains a lot of thing to understand.
But since I was in vacation I did not have time to implement that.
I will try next week and I will let you know if I succeed.

Regards

WebFocus 7.6.5

<JG>
posted
KentO,

My bet is that you missed this bit of page 91.

"It also requires the Reporting Server to be configured for operating system security"

Check that the windows envionment has EDAEXTSEC=ON otherwise it your WebFocus server is running
with security off and so it will not pass the ID

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
My Admin Jeff...asks me to post this for him:

KentO,

AS JG states you will not be able to use GETUSER to return the id of the end user without running a secured reporting server.

You can however get it by passing the value of &REMOTE_USER to the reporting server. REMOTE_USER is the name of the
variable in the HTTP header that contains the users id. Within the WebFOCUS Client this value is passed to a parameter
called &WF_REMOTE_USER, which contains the id with the domain stripped off. Below are 2 ways of getting the id in your
reports:

1. Add the following in WebFOCUS Administration Console --> Client Settings --> Reporting Server

IBI_REPORT_USER = &WF_REMOTE_USER
IBI_REPORT_PASS =

In your program use CNCTUSR instead of GETUSER
-SET &USERID = CNCTUSR('A40');

CNCTUSR will return the value of the connected user when the reporting server is running with security off.

The advantage to setting IBI_REPORT_USER is that if you are using Resource Manager or Analyzer
the users id for Self Service reports will be captured in the tables.

2. Create a new parameter on the WebFOCUS Client and set it to &WF_REMOTE_USER

Add the following in WebFOCUS Administration Console --> Custom Settings

USERID=&WF_REMOTE_USER

This will make the users network id available to the reporting server in a variable called &USERID.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Prarie,
I understand how to get the Userid from the &Remote_User variable in the HTTP header. But is it possible to populate the &Remote_User variable directly from the Windows sign-on used to start the PC.
So far I have had to use a separate WebFOCUS sign on after the morning Windows sign-on.
Kent

Posts: 63 | Location: Ft. Wayne, IN | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Kent,

Can you please let me know what Webserver and Application server you are using? Does your site have some security package like SiteMinder or RSA Cleartrust? What id are you seeing in your &Remote_User variable?

Jeff

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Jeff_1
We use Tomcat 5.5 for Web Server and Windows Server 2003 on the Application Server. We do not have a security package since we only have 16 users on our internal intranet. &REMOTE_USER contains the default "Admin" on the Reporting server.
Is it possible to pickup the Windows logon password without doing a second WebFOCUS sign-on?
Kent