Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Suppress printing of blank detail lines.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Suppress printing of blank detail lines.
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a report that I want to print some of the detail lines but not all. But I want all detail added into the totals. I am using a SUBFOOT to display the detail lines I want. The problem is that I'm getting a blank line for all detail lines from the detail section. I have a NOPRINT for all the detail columns.
Can someone show me how to suppress the blank lines.
I am running 5.2 and 7.0 of WebFOCUS on NT.

You have to change the [] to parenthesis on my WHEN statement in order to run code. I kept getting errors about the parenthesis when I tried to post.

Thanks,

Lenny

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT MODEL NOPRINT
DEALER NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT
BY MODEL NOPRINT
HEADING
"Car<+1>Model<+1>Price"
" "
ON CAR RECAP
TOTAL_DEALER=DEALER;
ON MODEL SUBFOOT
" <CAR <MODEL <DEALER "
-* change [] to parenthesis here
WHEN [MODEL CONTAINS '4 DOOR'];
ON CAR SUBFOOT
"Total for <CAR <TOTAL_DEALER"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, STYLE=BOLD, SIZE=9, $
TYPE=HEADING, STYLE=BOLD, SIZE=10, LINE=1, OBJECT=TEXT, ITEM=1, POSITION=0.00,$
TYPE=HEADING, STYLE=BOLD, SIZE=10, LINE=1, OBJECT=TEXT, ITEM=2, POSITION=1.50,$
TYPE=HEADING, STYLE=BOLD, SIZE=10, LINE=1, OBJECT=TEXT, ITEM=3, POSITION=3.00,$
TYPE=SUBFOOT, BY=B1, OBJECT=FIELD, ITEM=1, POSITION=1.25, $
TYPE=SUBFOOT, BY=B1, OBJECT=FIELD, ITEM=2, POSITION=2.50, $
TYPE=SUBFOOT, BY=B2, OBJECT=FIELD, ITEM=1, POSITION=0.00, $
TYPE=SUBFOOT, BY=B2, OBJECT=FIELD, ITEM=2, POSITION=1.50, $
TYPE=SUBFOOT, BY=B2, OBJECT=FIELD, ITEM=3, POSITION=3.00, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Posts: 104 | Location: Boston | Registered: April 23, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you there is no way to suppress the line being created by the PRINT. The blank line is part of the internal matrix. But there are work arounds. (I ran into this problem)

There are two ways I know how to get around it.
1) You will need to hold your data as format WP and then create a MAS file on the hold file. From this point you can remove the blank lines.

2) Convert your numerical data into alphanumerical data using the PTOA or FTOA function. This will allow you to display the data like normal. (This is the solution I did)

I will try to find you an example of using the PTOA/FTOA.

Posts: 406 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I found a way that worked fairly well.

I changed the font size for my detail lines to:

TYPE=REPORT, SIZE=1, $

This took most of the white space out between the lines. It would be better if you could just suppress the blank lines.

Lenny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure I understand the problem because I looked at the example you included and it looks like you are headed in the right direction to accomplish this. I would use the WHEN clause on the SUBFOOT just like you show in your example. Even if the SUBFOOT line does not appear because of a blank detail line, the values should still be included in your total.

Can you give us a better example or explain a little more the problem you are encountering?

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The problem is even though you have a NOPRINT on all the items on detail line WF still prints the detail lines even though they are blank. When the report prints you get big holes in the report where the blank lines are. Reducing the font size to 1 for the detail lines helps but the report still doesn't look right.

Lenny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AH! I didn't run your code before but now I see the problem. I believe I ran into this issue myself before and did the same thing (set font size to 1) but I can't seem to find the FEX in which I did this. Thanks for the clarification.

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
<toby mills>
posted
Hey Lenny

I was thinking the same thing as was already mentioned about running it out to a flat file and making a master to read that, then print it but leave out the blank lines....

The last thought I'd have for you on this is to use FRL (or FMR or EMR or whatever we're calling it these days) for this report.

-Toby

Report This Post