Focal Point
[NOT CLOSED] WF 8.0.08 Report Caster: error when attempting to save a new schedule

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6937061576

March 16, 2015, 01:01 PM
Francis Mariani
[NOT CLOSED] WF 8.0.08 Report Caster: error when attempting to save a new schedule
Anyone seen this error error when attempting to save a new schedule - gobbledegook and "MSGV0002"?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
March 16, 2015, 01:29 PM
Francis Mariani
For some reason, it's for only this one specific schedule.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
March 16, 2015, 04:43 PM
Waz
I wonder if it is encrypted names ?

Thought about editing and resaving the schedule, etc ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

March 16, 2015, 06:37 PM
Francis Mariani
I created a new schedule and added a Task and Distribution. What is this message telling me? Absolutely nothing. I cancelled and gave up for today.

Francis

March 17, 2015, 11:37 AM
Francis Mariani
MSGV0002 appears to be related to the length of the schedule name. I tried reducing the length to less than 64 characters, but I still got the error. This suggests that the error could have been for the Schedule Name or Title, the Task Name, the Distribution Name, the email Notification Subject...

Francis

March 18, 2015, 08:32 AM
Craig Thummel
In 7705 I found that accidentally using the en-dash punctuation in the Subject line causes garbage characters in the subject line of the distributed report email. Using MS Word, I had typed in all the information (text) I was going to use in preparation for setting up a RC job. For the Subject (and Description, for that matter) I had typed some text followed by a followed by some more text. MS Word turns the into an en-dash and as it turns out RC sees this as some sort of unprintable character set, hence the garbled subject line in the email. After manually editing the Subject in the RC job, problem solved.

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)
March 18, 2015, 09:17 AM
Francis Mariani
Interesting - I did have a dash, so it is conceivable that it was an n-dash form wherever the copy/paste came from...

Francis

March 18, 2015, 09:51 AM
j.gross
That's one of the dividends of the adoption of Unicode. Big Grin
August 04, 2016, 12:53 PM
Francis Mariani
So annoying. I can't believe the "developer" that "programmed" this did not include any validation and error trapping. So clumsy.

Francis

August 04, 2016, 06:05 PM
Waz
QA testing is now complete, thanks Francis.

Big Grin

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

November 21, 2019, 09:21 AM
John_Edwards
I just bumped into this in 8.2 so the problem remains. And what is odd is that it appears that once you've fouled the connection you can't undo it, as I removed all non-alpha characters and continued to get the error. So if you hit this you likely want to start from scratch.

I restarted, and also took out the reference to an EDASERVE routine and proxied the request through an MRE unit. May have helped, don't know if that was important, but I was able to save the new one.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for leaving this marked NOT CLOSED as that is exactly what it is.

November 26, 2019, 03:22 PM
DWaybright
You marked it "Not Closed" but did you open a case with tech support?
Report Caster feels like it needs a bit of an overhaul.

--Deb

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (production), 8.2.06 (testing)
AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs