Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] User Defined Output Types and Reporting Objects

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] User Defined Output Types and Reporting Objects
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Everyone,

I need to create multiple output types for a reporting object in order for them to be exported, printed, or viewed depending on a user selection. I have a filter panel, and I can see the format type show up in the filter panel, but I'm unsure as to what else needs to be done.

Here is some of my previous code using some of IBI's sample data from GGSTORES. I used this code for reports linked to HTML pages. Is the principle the same when using reporting objects and filter panels? Based upon the skimming of several 8.2.04 manuals I've done this morning, I'm not sure anymore.

ENGINE INT CACHE SET ON
SET PAGE-NUM=NOLEAD
SET SQUEEZE=ON
-DEFAULTH &WF_HTMLENCODE=ON;
SET HTMLENCODE=&WF_HTMLENCODE

SET HTMLCSS=ON
-DEFAULTH &WF_EMPTYREPORT=ON;
SET EMPTYREPORT=&WF_EMPTYREPORT

-DEFAULTH &WF_SUMMARY='Summary';
-DEFAULTH &WF_TITLE='WebFOCUS Report';
TABLE FILE ibisamp/ggstores
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.STORE_CODE
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.STORE_NAME
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.ADDRESS1
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.ADDRESS2
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.CITY
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.STATE
BY GGSTORES.STORES01.ZIP
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT &FMT.(<HTML Web Document (HTML),HTML>,<Excel XLSX (XLSX),XLSX>).Output type.
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET CACHELINES 100
ON TABLE SET GRWIDTH 1
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=IBFS:/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/ibi_themes/Warm.sty,$
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT=&WF_TITLE.QUOTEDSTRING, SUMMARY=&WF_SUMMARY.QUOTEDSTRING, $
ENDSTYLE
END 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Posts: 191 | Registered: September 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Julie

I don't think you can accomplish this inside the reporting object, you want the ON TABLE PCHOLD to be parameterized and filters and where statements use Fields. I even went as far as trying to have the Report inside the reporting object parameterize the output format but that is not available in a Reporting Object.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Could I create a DM statement and then have two different reports in the reporting object based on user selection? Or, are you saying, it's just not possible?

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well I learn something new everyday.. In the reporting object I edited the report object in text and added
<code>
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT &WFFMT.(<HTML Web document_[HTML),HTML>,<Excel XLSX [XLSX),XLSX>Wink.Output type.
</code>

I changed your example to &WFFMT as that is a known parameter. Then in the Administration console under InfoAssist properties I checked the ones I wanted in your case html and excel and user selection. Then I created a report with the reporting object and the choice to choose my output option was displayed

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Chuck. I'll try it right now. I was just about ready to try a different approach. So, your response was timely.

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I changed my AdminConsole setting as you mentioned in your solution. I created my reporting object.

Then, I created the filter panel in AppStudio. Finally, I connected the filter panel and the reporting object in the portal designer. Is there something else I need to do to enable the Excel functionality in the portal? Nothing happened for me when I selected the Excel choice. The HTML is fine, and I see the option in my control. I should mention I changed the control type from a radio button to a dropdown list. I don't know if that affects anything. It did not previously in my reports.

What am I missing?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JulieA,

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Julie

I am not sure what went wrong, it will take me a little time to reproduce how you have tried this. It sounds like it should work.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I am having trouble figuring out how you did what you did.. Can you go back and just try to create a report using InfoAssist against the reporting object with the ON TABLE PCHOLD syntax in it and see if choosing Excel works. It does for me. I am on version 8.2.06 which could be the difference...

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

That would be great. I created the filter panel according to the BI portal manual, pages 273-279.

I am trying to get this resolved in time for a meeting on Monday.

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

I agree with your assessment of the reporting object and how it behaves relative to Excel. It seems to work just fine for me, too.

It's when I try to merge the filter panel and the reporting object together that Excel stops working for me. I'm going to try again in a brand new portal, just to make sure there is no issue on my end.

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
OK. I will get that manual and try it as well but won't have an update for you until tomorrow.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Theoretically, I think it should work for me. I'd appreciate the assistance. Thank you.

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
After I posted yesterday, I tried one more time. I was able to get things working relative to user selection and two different output types.

Again, use the manual as described in my last post. It should work for you. The key you provided me with was the setting in AdminConsole.

Thank you.

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Julie

Glad to hear you have it working.